Why such crazy pricing for lessons!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Jimi

Ya thats $500 Canadian, which is something like $350 to $400 American. And thats not really that much either. I know come cats that get $500 for a 90 minute set. You also have to realize that making $500 a gig is only maybe once a week, twice if youre lucky. Thats why you have to teach on the side and busk to when you can. I make like $150 extra on a Saturday night just busking with freinds.

Theres a user on here named Clarence and he's moving to Vegas. I think some of the $$$ he quoted horn players make in Vegas is between $1500 and $6000 a week depending how hard you wanna work and how connected you are. Theres a LOT of money in music if you know where to look and play your butt off :cool:

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hmmm...interesting ideas about playing level and teaching. I've also seen the other side of that equation...great player does not necessarily mean great teacher.

I DO however, feel that for someone to be a great teacher, they must have a high degree of musicianship and high musical standards. Should go without saying, but, some people I've seen and talked with just have no standards and can't tune or teach how to tune becasue a rock hears better than them or has more sensitivity than they do. (This past weekend I saw one of those...I had to leave the room before saying something I might regret in front of the students...)

$150 or more for time with someone who has years of experience, expertise, education (either formal or otherwise) and is at the top of their field...how much does a cheif surgeon make? How much does a top rate business consultant make? $150 is a bargain for someone at the top of the field that does not reflect actual monetary compensation, but shows a gesture of thanks.

I had 2 lessons not long ago with someone whom I respect and admire...both for free. Beyond cost, beyond price.

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    You charge what the market dictates. I drive to Bloomington (8 hours each way), stay at the beautifull Motel 6, take 2-3 lessons and consider it a great deal. Why? Because I love playing the trumpet.

4. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Actually, whenever a church offers to pay me for playing in a worship service, I just tell them to put the money in the fund for their youth group.

5. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    If you where to contract my services as a civil engineer, you would be paying more than $100/hour (that's NOT what I get paid...that's what the company gets paid...dang it all! :x ). I am a professional in that field, with 15 years experience in water resources, drainage and flood control.

Having said that, I have no problem paying a professional trumpet teacher professional rates. On the other hand, the more I pay for the lessons, the more I expect to get out of them. OK..admittedly what I get out of a lesson is mostly up to me and how hard I work. But what I mean is that I would expect a more highly paid teacher to share more knowledge, spot more of my problems quicker (and offer more solutions), and...frankly....challenge me a lot more than a lower paid teacher with less experience.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA