Why the 3rd valve slide?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, May 10, 2012.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I use both slides.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I much prefer the third valve slide, and when I play my Recording, the trigger mechanism. I have owned horns with the first slide saddles, and if I had to have something on the first valve slides, that would be my choice. I don't care for triggers, as I feel like they get in the way. My preference is to use my embouchure and lip it down. Not always possible.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When I don't use the slides the horn sounds kind of funny anytime I play a note which uses 1 or 3. Kazoo-ish almost.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Way back when I modded my Ambassador to play lead in a big band, I took the 3rd valve ring/bracket off (along with the spotty lacquer and the end bell brace). I didn't have the need for it...:D

[​IMG]

For my playing now, I prefer the 3rd slide for most intonation adjustments, but if the 3rd valve isn't involved, the 1st slide gets the work. All my horns that have a 3rd valve slide stop have the slide super easy to move - so easy that it would fall out without the stop.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Just push them all out on a low C#...And if you want to make a low F# into a low F. Otherwise, I just pull out sometimes to prevent using pressure on some high notes where the slide really play no part, but reminds me not to press!

Oh, and to tune a high "a" in hot humid weather I play it 3rd valve with the slide out.