Why the brand/model your playing?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Larry Gianni, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

Since were on a gear thread for the moment, tell us why the brand/model you play at the moment does " it " for you and what would be your next step in choosing a model/brand if your on the fence at the moment.

I've talked about what I play and why, now it's your turn - again there are no wrong answers or opinions. I would be inclined to try a SS Bell Bach 37 or just put a SS Bach 37 bell on one of my Mt Vernons. I like the compact feel the Mt. Vernon's give me when what I play calls for that type of " walking on eggshells " touch.

Larry

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i got the Max because i wanted to play with the gap.
    i think i like a little Resistance.

i want to trade it for a Schilke B6 because i want a small bore in the hopes of being able to play a lot more without getting tired.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    James, if you don't mind a suggestion: try the Yamaha 6310Z. It's a smaller bore, reverse lead pipe built on the basis of Schilke design.... and at the moment I suspect it fits your budget a heck of a lot better! With the introduction of the Xeno series the price has dropped on the "old" Z horn. Not knocking Schilke at all...read the signature line.... but.... just trying to make a suggestion that may help you make the switch a bit easier.

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Well, at the moment I'm playing an Olds Recording. There was a bit of a convoluted trail to that one. I was playing a Bach 37 (I am primarily a lead player in a big band) that I had since the end of high school. I bought a Yamaha Mike Vax to replace that. Then I switched mouthpieces from a Marc. Vizzutti model with a bored out throat to a GR 65.6S because the Vizzutti didn't work very well with the Vax. Then I started to find the valves on the MV a little too squishly feeling compared to the Bach valves. I started reading about the Olds horns on Trumpetherald and discovered Ebay. That was bad news. :D

Specific to the Recording, I love its unique sound. The intonation is great. It's a really powerful horn and it slots really nicely without being too 'stuck' in each slot.

I would like to try a vintage Benge 2x or 3x and the more I read this forum, maybe a 1s2 for a bright horn. I am also thinking of re-engineering my Ambassador with a Pilczuk pipe, just for fun.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    Tootsall

yes, i have one eye on the Z and one on the B6/7.

i know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy at Yamaha and I've been shaking the tree a little to see if an 8310Z might fall out.

having nothing better to do i want to practice a lot but after about three/four hours my chops get sore so i have to stop.
    i'm a "comebacker" and my body does not want to do this.

I'm hoping a small bore might help.

6. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Larry,

Well my choice of horns is very different from yours. I tried the Calicchio R39/R37 and thought they were great but second choice went to an X3 and finally bought a Taylor Chicago II Standard. As you can tell my sound 'concept' seems to be a little darker than the 1s/2 style!!

Although the other trumpets I tried were great I must admit the Taylor did it for me. I'm a tactile sort of person so the first thing that hit me (apart from the weight!!) was the valves. I own a couple of Kanstuls and get to play the odd Schilke all of which have good valves but these are exceptional..almost as if they're on bearings..there is almost no resistance.

Secondly, luckily I got the chance to play about 8 or 9 of Andy's horns at the factory over a period of 3 or 4 hours so I was able to settle into the style of trumpet. As you are aware the heavier horns need a bit of warming up and the centre of the note is not, at first, where you expect it but once that's done and you can show it who's boss the sound is absolutely marvellous...very rich, great bottom register and an almost woodwind like higher register (without the intonation problems!!). Some would say why do they call it a trumpet then, but that's another arguement.

Intonation on my trumpet is exceptional...no slides necessary. It is also much more flexible than some people would have you believe. Tounging is crisp, slurs fluid and yes you do get feedback as a player, not all the sound goes to the guy at the back of the hall!!

And lastly but by no means least its looks. The standard doesn't have all the fins and braces (I'm not a real big fan of those) but no need to worry we are not talking understated here. It has a scratched lacquer body, nickel plated slide tubing, bright lacquer tuning slide and valves slides and a red brass heat treated bell all of which illicit responses of "wow that's different".

Regards

Trevor

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Larry,

I tried a Bach Sterling Plus bell that Jay Daversa has. For what I do & get hired to play it wasn't right. It just seemed to take a lot of enegry (from me as a player) to get it "sound", soft or loud playing.

Now on a positive note for the Sterling Plus bell Bach, I saw Charley Davis play @ UNLV about a year & a 1/2 ago. He'd had his gold plated. He sounded very nice on that horn at all dynamic levels. Tom Porrello in LV plays one although I'm not sure of the model. Sounds wonderful!

If I wasn't so settled on the horns I have, I'd look at a Calicchio 1s-2 ( I love Jays ) or what ever the new "CF" model might be. I hear John Duda is making really fine horns, worthy of the name.

8. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Michael,

John's new website will feature the ' Chuck Findley Model " and the " Dave Trigg Model " which is a first.

The new website is almost ready and will have an online section to register your trumpets with the shop and a picture gallery for any Calicchio owner.

If anyone wants, send a picture of yourself to me at [email protected] and I'll forward it to the shop in Tulsa. That way if the shop loses it ( blank happens ) I can have a back-up and make sure it gets on.

Any Calicchio owner is welcome to send a picture.

Larry

PS - Charley plays a stock 3C with a screw-in Reeves 692 backbore for most of his work right now.