Why the gargle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 58tom, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 58tom

58tom New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Well now I have my Bach 300. I have no ambition for trumpet playing except for my own interest. I am using the Hal-Leonard level 1 book/cd. I usualy do fairly well, however there are times when no matter how much I try I wind up with a gargle sound to the note. And after awhile I feel like I just climbed ten flights of stairs. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. What I can't understand is that this is not a constant problem.

2. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Well first off, I'm not going to assume anything. Second off, here it goes:

1) Have you let you spit out recently!
    2) Take your mouthpiece out and hold it up to the light. Look down the shank to see if you can see any gunk in there. If there's alot, take a mouthpiece brush and clean that out.
    3) When was the last time you cleaned your horn? You might need to give it a bath and clean some of the gunk out.

Hope that helps.

3. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    What kind of gargle? I'm guessing you don't just mean accumulated water in the trumpet, though that can sound a lot like gargling.

Is it happening on specific notes? Sometimes I find that I have a rough sound on G for some reason, though it goes away if I keep playing. All the surrounding notes are fine.

Does it happen when you start playing? After you've warmed up? When you've been practicing for a long time?

The main thing that I'm finding helps me out with these issues is to step back from playing fun stuff for a while and work on holding long tones, especially quiet long tones, and lip slurs. When I come back to tunes, I'm relieved, but I'm also in much better shape.

There are lot of possibilities, and I'm sure that the "get a teacher" brigade will be here shortly, but this should be something you can work past.

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    See someone who knows what they're doing, even a student. Maybe you're not buzzing right. Are you getting a note with the gargle? Or just the gargle?
    You might just be doing it wrong, and the exhaustion is just a result of putting forth too much effort for no product.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No ambition could rule out a real solution like getting your chops together. I am sorry, but there are things in life that have to be earned. For most of us that includes a nice sound and a bit of range.

In any case, the first step is to get your breathing together. Then a decent daily routine with long tones and slurs and plenty of easy tunes like from a Hymnbook. THAT is what will get your act together.

6. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Even if you are interested in Trumpet for the enjoyment of playing - which is great - but its been my expierence and my observation that most people do not get alot of enjoyment out things they don't do well.

So this gargle thing - first have someone (like your band director or a expierenced student) check your horn over to make sure nothing is amiss - its usually not the horn, it never hurts to get that excuse out of the way. Second, make sure you are holding your horn correctly and have the mouthpiece properly placed on your embouchre - also check the size of your mouthpiece is it a student model (like a bach 7c is a good standard student model - a bach 3c - might not be the greatest choice)? Sit up straight or better yet stand up straight, take deep breathes and don't push yourself past your limits. Start at the beginning - what were the first things you learned to do when you started playing - long tones, easy melodies, scales - start here focusing on good sound and support and then increase difficultly until you start having the problem - then figure out what you changed (are you clenching your jaw? choking off your throat? are you emptying your water (ie I have a trumpet with water keys and sometimes its just easier to yank out the slide and empty) - this will probably take a couple practice sessions - finding someone who knows what they are talking about will help speed up the process- trust me your will like trumpet alot more if you feel good after playing and you feel good about what you played.

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Please explain; does this gargle come from

* your throat or mouth or somewhere "inside there"?

* your lips? Are they doubble-buzzing, producing the
    wanted note as well as an extra, lower note?

* the trumpet?

I realize that maybe you find this hard to determine,
    but please try . . .

8. 58tom

58tom New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    I thank all for the great advice, I have been working on air control and breathing. It seems that I may not have been allowing enough of an air flow and therefore I was holding too much in.