Why the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.Nonymous, Oct 16, 2012.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    What is the allure of this instrument? I'm trying to figure it out. I decided recently I wanted to play an instrument. I gravitated to the trumpet but couldn't get a sound out of it at all even after a one hour lesson. I literally couldn't get a peep. so I gave up and moved to the sax. After playing it for a month or so and having success with it, I mentioned in passing that I was a saxophonist because I failed with the trumpet. They suggested I simply play off center since I have a cupid's bow. I tried this and was able to get some awful sounding squawks that sounded horn like and have been working on these squawks to get them to sound more trumpetty. The rational part of me knows I should be playing the sax. I was having success. I could play Ode to Joy and Twinkle, Twinkle little star with the best of them. I was mastering the octave key and working on learning a couple of scales. On the trumpet I can't even get a note out right now. Yet I plan to sell the sax and stick with the trumpet. Why? Why does a small horn have such a grip on me that it makes me do such a silly thing? Should I wise up and stick with what works and not what might work?

2. Shawn

Shawn New Friend

Jul 2, 2012
    The far north
    In my opinion either of the instruments would be a fine choice. You just need a little more practice and before you know it you'll be able to play your trumpet quite well. The key to everything is practice, as people say practice makes perfect.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cupids bow has nothing to do with making a sound. I have one and sound fine. ;-)

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    I was trying to play dead center which is what the teacher I was working with told me to do. My bow is fairly pronounced I think. When I make an m sound you can see my teeth still. Off center I have more luck.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    IMO, and I play both, trumpet is harder .....But, you should probably choose trumpet if you love trumpeting and get inspired by trumpet playing you've heard.

Don't play the sax because it's easier ... many other things are easier than the sax .... guitar, piano, bass ..... That's not a good way to decide what to play, IMO.

Turtle

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's just got 3 valves... Gotta be simple.... Right?!

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Right.

Turtle

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Your heart is telling you to play the trumpet. You do NOT need to play in the center. Try moving the mouthpiece right and left, up and down, and when you find the spot where you get sound stick with it. I played in the center for years and just recently, after a mouthpiece consult with a prominent chops expert, moved my mouthpiece well to the right, so the left side of it is even with the middle. If felt awkward at first and still does, but not as much, and the sound is much better. You, as a beginner, don't have the obstacle of having played a certain way ingrained in your setup, so find the spot that works and then keep at it and things will happen.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You need to work on free buzzing and mpc buzzing. Just start with "horse flapping" and gradually make your aperture smaller w/o smiling.

10. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    To the OP don't sell your sax as you are already investing time into it, about trumpet there is not an instrument that is harder or easier as whatever you choose should ultimately be about you being inspired by someone else who plays your chosen instrument. Personally I was inspired by seeing live (within their respective groups at the time) Avishai Cohen of the SF Jazz Collective and Bruce Harris of The T.S. Monk Sextet.