Why the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.Nonymous, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe 4 valves, and that's not significant, but "simple" it ain't, and it ain't easy to play either.

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I play both. It's really apples and oranges strictly speaking of learning them. I'd say alot depends on what you want to accomplish and how old you are. Like if you want to get into jazz combos, etc. and you're "late in life" sax might be better because it's definitely easier to get to a certain level of proficiency. OTOH if you've got time, lots of it, trumpet's great. Much greater "learning curve" as far as getting to a presentable sound. (I'm 3 yrs into it and still have a year or two before I'd feel comfortable out in public).

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    W/ all due respect, I disagree with TL8. Get a sound with the trumpet and mouthpiece put together and forget about free buzzing or doing it on the mouthpiece. These can be handy as aids in refining what works, but not at the beginning. Yes, you can horse flap as that helps loosen up your chops and improve circulation.

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    I'm 31 so whether I'm late in life or not depends on who you ask. I recently had a teenager point out how geriatric I was. (Punk kids these days.) I'm torn because given the (albeit limited) success I've had with the sax I know I can learn it if I put the time/effort into it. There are difficulties to be sure, but you find that learning anything new. However I find that I really, really, really want to learn the trumpet and this flies in the face of all rational thought on the subject. Nothing I've been able to do with my buzzing so far has gotten me to where I could even contemplate playing something as complex as Mary had a little lamb. Yet I find that I would rather buzz on a trumpet than blow a sax any day even if I'm much better at the sax. Does that make any sense at all?

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    So with only 3 vales I am supposed to do the same things as an instrument with a zillion keys? Sounds complicated to me. :D

6. Shofarguy

Shofarguy Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2009
    East of Phoenix Arizona
    Sit down, deary. Let me look into my crystal ball... Hmm, I see you have a strong heart and courage. You desire to be inspiring to others... You have dreams of standing on stage naked?? Wait... I see something in your hand... Of course! It's a trumpet. I should have known all along. You are choosing a difficult and frustrating path, but the destiny! Now that is fulfilling.

It will take away all pretense and make you strong, if you do not give in to the merely soothing, the sensual way of the lesser path. Sophia knows...

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    C"MON MAN!! Bud Herseth, William Vacchiano, Bill Chase, Wilmer Wise just to name a few!!! You don't think I came up with that on my own did ya?? ;-)

No buzz, no standing wave, no sound.

This came up on another thread. You can get a visualizer (a mpc rim attached to a rod) to see were you are placing your lips. OP may also have a dental issue that requires extra attention.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    Nah. I think I just have masochistic tendencies.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah -- the trumpet has 3 valves (IMHO, it is far easier than the clarinet, and the piano, and even a trombone) -- that being said, I'm 47ish, and can still play --- and you should START THINKING that the trumpet takes a WEE BIT MORE TIME than 2 or 3 days to be able to play a song. you have to build up the embouchure muscles (uhm at least weeks, maybe a month or two) --- a little at a time. BUT IF YOUR HEART IS IN THE TRUMPET -- I say --GO FOR IT!!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL

and to think people say that I have NO VALUABLE INFORMATION in any of my posts ---- silly punk kids!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Don't laugh here, that was exactly my rationale when picking the instrument. Well, that and the fact that it's at home in classical as well as pop, jazz, funk, R&B, latin, and pretty much any other interesting music one can come up with. Plus, a national anthem (any one of them for that matter) is just not the same on sax. Try the Star Spangled Banner on sax and see how it is, vs trumpet. See what I mean? The Marseillaise on sax? Just doesn't cut it. Pictures at an exhibition? Don't think so. Bach's magnificat? No way. Etc, etc...