Why the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.Nonymous, Oct 16, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Horns are fun...They project loudly. Trumpets are mentioned in biblical times...there is no mention of the sax...So when the time for judgement comes sound the horn...just try to get good tone :)

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    TAPS on a Sax? I think not:lol::roll:

Myself, I really didn't have a choice. Mom picked it for me( She had a thing for Harry James). Luckily, I had some aptitude for it. I got inspired by the Big Band trumpeters first, and then Doc and Al.So, now here I am at 63 still playing at church and with my wife's alumni band. Keep at it, the three valve siren has woven her spell on you:roll::oops:

3. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    Why? Because it's the Instrument of the GODS..................sounding thier arrival.............

4. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    I'm 31 years old too. Started playing trumpet in july. Self taught. I can play blues and major scales in any key. My range is a g above the staff to low a but can get to a high c regularly. Currently learning to play some louis armstrong tunes. But if you really want to play the trumpet then you need to throw your whole self into it. Eat sleep and breathe it. Carry it everywhere. I never miss a day of practice cause I know what's waiting for me when I pick it up again. I'm no expert on anything and many people may not have the time that I do. Use every resource imaginable. You can do it if you want.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You really don't have to sound the trumpet for me. You can just introduce me as Doc.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Ya no, 31 is still on the upswing ;) If you have the time and the desire, I'd say then stick with trumpet. It's definitely a really different type of experience than sax. If you're into computers at all, I'd say the difference is between a programming language (sax) and batch file commands (trumpet). You can do great things with both, they just have a totally different approach and feel to them.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Read this: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/vizzutti-basics-beginning-brass-21437.html

8. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    Not sure I entirely agree with this. The sax is a pretty versatile instrument in its own right. You can play anything from jazz to rock to swing to big band to funk to gospel to classical on it. You may need a different mouthpieces, but you can do it. It is true that angels will never sound a saxophone on that last day though.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Gee I don't hear it that way either ...... Sax goes with everything you listed, pop, rock, jazz, funk, R&B, latin, and just about anything else a person could think of ..... okay, maybe not Hawaiin beach music ..... As for classical, Bach would have LOVED the sax, had it been invented yet, IMHO :)lol:) and written it into his symphonies. Probably.

National Anthem, Star Spangled Banner ... on sax .... well, not so much.:oops:

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.