Why the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.Nonymous, Oct 16, 2012.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    There are vids on Youtube of people playing the Star Spangled Banner on sax. It's not that bad at all.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    And, patriotic songs at sporting events?.... Personally, I'd rather hear a tenor sax than a young pop singer who can't remember the words. When Trombone Shorty did one of these recently, he brought two sax players with him. And, he's Trombone Shorty, he ought to know. :-)

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    OOoo,TJ, don't get me started on those singers:roll::evil::lol::oops:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know why Mr Shorty did this? To demonstrate to all that two saxes still cannot out perform one trumpet. Mr Shorty is a wise man.

5. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    One person said the piano and guitar are easier than the sax. Maybe for them it was, but what comes easy and what comes difficult is different from one person to the next. For me, of all the instruments I tried to learn, piano was by far the hardest. But, anyway, to the OP, if you enjoy playing the sax at all, I say keep playing the sax, but also keep practicing the trumpet too. It may take you longer to get a handle on the trumpet, but it'll be worth it, especially since you are so drawn to it to begin with. Alot of musicians know how to play more than one instrument.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    One can play both :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Joe McPhee :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Manu Dibango :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Playing both may be a great idea for the OP ..... One could become a favorite and take over or being able to double on those two instruments could bring twice as much work, when you turn pro. I think there's a few in here who play both.

Then, you could have a wheelbarrow of luggage to carry to the gig:

Trumpet
    Cornet
    Flugelhorn
    Soprano Sax
    Alto Sax
    Tenor Sax
    Baritone Sax

Let me know when you get there, and I'll roadie for you.

Btw, I think it's interesting to hear what instruments people consider harder than others. My friend at the music store, who has been helping me sort out my alto sax sfuff, told me the other day that he found saxophone a lot easier then banjo. The banjo doesn't seem that hard, but I don't play it. When I was looking for a drum teacher (got THE book and quit looking), one of them suggested to me that drums are much harder to learn than trumpet. I asked him what planet he was from. Needless to say, I'm not taking lessons from him.

Yu pick up de stick, you grab de stick, and you whack the drum with it. What could be easier??? :dontknow:

Turtle

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    All of the sax players need to learn to play the upper range on a trumpet first, it should be a pre-requisite.........Just sayin......

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :?:

Turtle

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    There are many years now, one of my friends, a jazz drummer, went live a whole year for his work in Africa, in a small village in the bush. When he arrived he bought some African drums, sat in front of his hut, and began to play… A village elder came to him and said to encourage: "Beautiful! You already play like a kid !"
    My friend didn't play anymore OUTSIDE the hut… ROFL