WHY WHY WHY do people insist on using plyers on trumpets???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 26, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    WHY WHY WHY do people insist on using plyers on trumpets??? and RANTS

I posted a coment earlier this week about a Holton horn I was picking up .. it was made around 1962 ... so from what I could tell it was either a Holton Symphony or most likely a Stratodyne ..
    I drove 4 hours one way to get this horn...
    The reason it couldn't be identified was that the bell had been changed.. so the resale value is probably shot ..but what ticked me off is
    The stock mouthpiece had when shined up looks brand new except for 2 FREAKIN' plyer marks on it...AAAUUGGGHH
    The reciever was bent off angle and the lead pipe has some dents in it.
    The bell probably would have been perfect but they put it in a STINKIN GIG bag... and of course it now has 2 dents in it.. AAUUGGGHH
    the good news is that is has the best jazz solo sound of any horn I have ever played .. the valves are clean and fast.. It is a wonderful playing horn ... if a horn's tone can be called dark and sexy this one is just that
    Why couldn't they just keep the tools in the tool box....
    breathe Dave breathe

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Mostly through ignorance, I hope the damage is not too serious and can be recoverable.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I must confess I am an idiot who did such a thing to remove a valve cap. I have done it successfully with a face cloth since I was a kid. This last time was the first time I miscalculated and damaged my horn. I would also say "huberiss" is another reason as I thought I knew what I was doing.

BrotherBACH

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that ignorance is a safe bet. My experience - even many times here at TM on other subjects is that we "react" instead of think, then act. For any particular issue, whatever pops into mind is the course of action.

The second most probable reason is because pliers work and no real value is placed on how the outside or inside are cared for. Is the average trumpet players approach to getting range different?

I rejoice in the opportunity to bargain the price down when "lazy" is obvious. Then the pliers worked for removing whatever - but not the resale price.

RANT:
    A great disservice to mankind in general is that we no longer necessarily have survival of the fittest. Mother nature had excellent procedures for keeping things practical.

One of the greatest tragodies in my opinion is that we have highschool graduates that can perform binomial equations, but not balance a check book. We have population with drivers licenses that cannot change a lightbulb or drive a nail straight. We have politicians than can make wide budget cuts but not saw a board in half straight.

My solution: make shop AND music required courses in school.
    /RANT

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That would get my vote. Shop and music are two of the subjects that have lasted for me, with ongoing benefits. Right now I'm building a shed to practice music in. Binomial equations are not helping (can't remember them anyway ....).:lol:

Turtle

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Making the inside dimensions adhere to the golden ratio would at least distribute the resonant modes optimally (HeHeHeHe).

Golden Ratio -- from Wolfram MathWorld
    Golden ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I second that emotion! I was required to take shop AND music in my public school system, and turned out pretty great, at least I think I have. I am hoping such a valued requirement has been the reason behind my evolution as to being the fittest person possible.

HOWEVER, just in case I may be wrong in my self assessment, I have the great pleasure of knowing I am not contributing to a declining gene pool, as I have never fathered a child (as far as I know), as all my children are adopted! And that means there is hope for them.

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    RANT:
    A great disservice to mankind in general is that we no longer necessarily have survival of the fittest. Mother nature had excellent procedures for keeping things practical.

One of the greatest tragodies in my opinion is that we have highschool graduates that can perform binomial equations, but not balance a check book. We have population with drivers licenses that cannot change a lightbulb or drive a nail straight. We have politicians than can make wide budget cuts but not saw a board in half straight.

My solution: make shop AND music required courses in school.
    /RANT[/QUOTE]

With this I agree wholeheartedly. I thought so too, which is why I left school in 10th grade and went to work in a junkyard. By 18 I was managing an automotive machine shop.
    Of course I read voraciously anything I picked up. I can state that I learned little in school due to boredom, lack of educator enthusiasm and possible dyslexia. Yet today few universities are not too proud to have me lecture on 17th century European arts et belles lettres.........chacun 'a son gout!!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What?? I believe I need a lecture on this!!:dontknow:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Life has gotten too complicated so that the average human needs a new set of advanced skills just about every 5 years to keep up. Personally, I've missed entire waves of technology ..... Blackberries, Facebook, iPods and roaming cell phones. If it were up to me, I'd have stopped technology, like a snapshot of the way it was back in the 60's, so we'd all be listening to vinyl still and swapping records instead of texting. People would then go back to actually seeing and hearing what's going on outside around them, instead of walking through life like a ZOMBIE, on the cell phone or a pair of earphones.

It's good to rant once in a while .... end of rant.:lol:

Turtle