WHY WHY WHY do people insist on using plyers on trumpets???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    There is nothing wrong with arts and belles lettres, they have their place like anything else, especially at the University level. Universities are not supposed to cover basics.

Most fresh high school grads I've seen in college in the US were pretty far from being able to deal with binomial equations. Basic algebra was hard enough. Many couldn't balance a check book either. What was lacking was simply the ability to think quantitatively. That's how they can, years later, be convinced to make the biggest purchase of their life (a house), with a variable interest rate loan, which is a complete aberration to anyone able to think quantitatively. I learned that kind of thinking when I was 9 and 10 by doing faucets and leaky buckets problems (and some days it even evaporated), trains crossing each other and so forth.

However, as far as I could tell, here in the US and other developed countries as well, the failure chiefly resided with the parents.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rant: Continuing - Or even worse! Using thumbs to communicate! People today are using text message to "communicate" and are loosing the skills of actually engaging in spoken conversation where tacit knowing prevails! Have we evolved into a species that is that so impersonal?

We have evolved as a species to having opposing thumbs. Is evolutionary pressure now going to result in humans loosing 4 digits and ONLY HAVING THUMBS? Is being ALL THUMBS now a good think in our EVOLVING society?

THE WORSE OUTCOME: if this were to happen, there would be no more trumpet players – only funk playing bassests!?

3. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    I will admit that I have done it, the reasons I did it were because the horn was very cheap so I didn't take care of it that well.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @Jorto131.. I get the cheap horn.. sort of experimenting on, right?
    ..but a vintage Holton ??
    .. the plyers got me going.. but the educational system in this country .welll ..might launch me
    In our jr high band room there was a sign on the wall that had just one word on it "THINK" ... I thought it was stupid ... little did I know.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is vintage to YOU is just an old horn to someone else. Maybe the horn wasn't even old when it got its first pliers job..............

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am pretty sure it was well taken care of in it's early days Robin ... it was pretty clean inside too... but yep to someone it was just an old trumpet. I wish you guys could play this horn to see what I am talking about .. it is very nice.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Gmonady,

Thanks for continuing the rant ..... Used to be it seemed like life was going to the dogs. Now it's going to the thumbs? :shock: Let's keep using those fingers out there, people.:play:

And what's wrong with bumping into someone on the street and having a ........ conversation? A friend didn't even see me as I passed her on the street the other day, even though I slowed to talk ..... She had her iPod plugged in on one side of her head and was talking on a cell phone on the other side. :stars: She's a real estate agent, what can I tell you.

Turtle

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND you can hate me anytime and anyday --- I just "Frankenhorned" a King 600 that I got for $22.50 + nice hard case. I had a nice Reynolds Medalist that I got last year for about $38 - someone stripped the #2 bottom valve cap (otherwise the horn was OK) ---- so I took the bell off of that and put it on the King 600.
    They were old horns, some would say they had value -- some wouldn't --- but I ended up with a WAY COOL sounding King/Reynolds Frankenhorn --
    I took shop class also -- of course my soldering skills aren't the best -- but hey it was an experiment -- and I love the sound of the beast.:thumbsup:

WHY DID I DO IT??? because I could -- that was all:roll:

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yo Kingtrumpet.. I am down with your modifications ... applaud them in fact...
    You can find those horns around... but try even finding a picture of a Holton Stratodyne much less one to play. my wife laughed when I told her what I had was a Frankenhorn .. then again it could have been a purposeful i(s that even a word) modification ... You know when trumpet players ask how to get that tone jazz trumpeters get .. well this horn has that sound. My wife said the horn sounds like one of the ones recorded on "vinyl

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah - I will agree, if I had an Old Super, or a pre UMI King Silver Flair, or any number of other horns -- I would definitely have to have a serious reason to tamper with those -- all I did was ruin a Reynolds to improve a King (had to cut off about 1/4 inch on Reynolds to fit it into the King -- but it is still way cool.