WHY WHY WHY do people insist on using plyers on trumpets???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Gee, guess I was lucky. Had shop, graduated as a printer even though I never did get to use the skill. So I had music and shop:roll::oops:

Timken Vocational High School , class of '67. Before we settled on a major, we had to go through six weeks of each course. Welding, auto, drafting, machine shop, printing. I would have rather done auto, but my Mom insisted on printing:dontknow::roll::oops:

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's been 43 years and I can still hear my Jr High wood shop teachers words "metal on metal causes dulling"

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With all the parts you used from all those dying horns, would't it best to call your compsite horn a Frankenstein!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO - I really can't see how it could hold any German beerROFL

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Forget the beer um-pa boy, can you just blow air through it?

KT conversation with his lab assistant: Egor, give me another 500 Joules, I think I may be getting a middle C out of my monster trumpet.

Egor: But Dr. KT Frankenstein, there is no electical storm activity due in the vacinity of our rock castle home for another 2 to 3 days.

KT: Then Egor, just rub your feet together real fast and give me your finger.

Egor: Dr. KT Frankenstein, quick, look this way, I am giving you the finger.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ROFL .. at least he didn't say pull my finger

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    interesting -- but I don't have to wait for lightning to strike -- I have 2 cats, so I can pet them each 1,000,000 times to generate electricity -- or I can go get a BIG CAT -- and generate upwards of 100MW of juice ---
    EITHER way - with my Asymmetric mpc - there is no need for extra power beyond what the KING TRUMPET can supply -- but thanks for your many suggestions.ROFL
    Cat Power Generation - Generators, Generator Sets & Power Systems

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wouldn't it be nice if mfrs put two small holes in valve caps and bottoms and included a pin spanner in the case to open them? That fine knurl just doesn't provide sufficient grip when they stick ... as many do.

9. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    There seems to be a mentality that if you have to screw something down then do it tightly so it doesn't come loose. I've run into it many times as a computer guy where someone torques down a screw and it can't be removed without stripping the head. I guess that's why many screws for computers have hex heads so the computer tech can remove it with a wrench after a user strips it.

I'm already showing my son how to care for a horn before he gets his when school starts. He watched as I cleaned mine last night and tore it down completely (except for the spit valves). I showed him every part and how they work. I also told him we'll be doing the same thing to his as soon as he gets it so we can get it lubed up and ready to go.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    smart man.. good Dad