WHY WHY WHY do people insist on using plyers on trumpets???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 26, 2011.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    what is plyer?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A player pryer plier that they apply when they shouldn't.

Such has extreme potential to crush valve caps and bottoms out of round ... as well as valve casings.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Connstellation. The bottom caps never get put on too tight because there is NO grip on them at all. Plus, they have a slot on the cap, should it somehow become too tight, and a nickel will loosen it easily. The tops caps have just a little bit of grip to them and they seem to work perfectly too.

The answer to valve cap bottoms is not to provide the fingers any grip at all. I've never had one stick yet.

Turtle

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Vocabell has no knurling nor grips either. I've noticed with certain horns if the bottom valve caps are screwed on too strongly a valve may hang up due to torsional deformation, so close are the tolerances in a horn in great shape.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Torsional deformation sounds like an incurrable disease!:shock: But, I think I know what you mean; out of round.

Wow, go easy on those valve caps, people.

Turtle

6. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    I have a baritone in at the moment, where the customer could not get the second valve cap off, so shes grabbed a set of mulit grips, she found one of the other piston chambers was blocking her access, so she took that piston out to be able to clamp onto No2, she loosened the cap of no 2, but in doing so smashed the thread and crushed the chamber of the one that was perfect, now I have to slice the chamber in half and make a graft as the parts are no longer available for this model.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never saw a Connstellation except in pictures, but have seen such slots on valve bottom caps and have a tool made from a 1" broken chisel that fits perfectly noting that a nickel sometimes slips. I'd still prefer the bottom cap have hex hole standardized for Allen wrench. I've noted that some Getzen's have hex edges on their top caps. Seemingly, both Conn and Getzen (and perhaps others too) mfrs have recognized that valve caps and bottoms are prone to stick. With wearing of the tooling in the manufacturing process the thread match of the caps and bottoms are NOT the optimum precision match to those on valve casings and I'm beginning to ponder why threads are needed in these instances at all, as opposed to alternatives.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    n+1 applies to how much tension does one feel they need when tightening a screw or nut

9. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    Thanks. :-) I figure if I teach him how to care for it right off the bat I can save myself a few bucks by not having to get it repaired. That and I won't have to unstick things myself. I broke my right arm down at the wrist back in February and am not back to full strength yet. I still have my dexterity though and played several quick scales today. :play: