Why would someone sell a dream horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, May 19, 2007.

1. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    :0

Wonderful post, Mark. All of your points are well worth consideration.

2. Taylor

Taylor New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    UK
    Good on you Mr Bradley. I know where you're coming from.

I do this with my spare guitars as playing them is more hobby than for money. So long as I dont loose 'tooo' much along the way then the wife is cool with it. Trumpets however is my living so I have to attach a different ethos to that.

When the holy grail beckons.....

All the best.

Andy Taylor
    Taylor Trumpets

3. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Well I guess this could be called the epilogue-- the cause of all this commotion (ha!), the Amrein is sold... hope it proves to be a dream for the nice old gentleman that bought it. What a sucker!

(kidding!!)

So the quest continues. In the last week I sold my Jupiter flugel and now the Amrein. With the dough (I hope to break about even) I'm looking at a cornet upgrade (don't laugh... but then again why not?) from a Viet Namese cornet I'm now playing. It's really not too bad but I think it's made from old U.S. shell casings shot from when I was there during that little Southeast Asian tryst a few decades ago... not fired in anger however. Warm sound but I feel like I need to reload after every 3-4 high notes.

I'm hovering between a Schilke A1 and Wild Thing cornet-- going for the roses.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,
    I played a Taylor medium bore cornet at the Frankfurt, Germany Musikmesse. It was absolute MAGIC. I have never had a horn that has been this "sweet" ever. Not a horn for massive playing, but unbelievably intimate! My comparisons: Holton Herbert Clarke Model long cornet (1911), Besson Sovereign mid 70s, various Yamaha and Bach Models (1975 - 2007).
    I normally do not get excited about brass instruments, they are just tools. This one was much, much different!
    Andy Taylor told me he sells most of them in the states. Maybe he can arrange a play-test for you?

5. Taylor

Taylor New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    UK
    Thank you most kindly for that observation of my cornet. I developed it listening to what British cornet players were telling me. BUT, when push comes to shove and its time to put the old hand in the pocket!!!

I cant think of any other kind of music you play or band you play in that 'gives' you the instrument to play on (I know, not all, but very very common at the better standard level). The symphony orchestra doesnt buy you a trumpet! The swing band doesnt guy you a trumpet. The Blues Brothers show doesnt guy you a trumpet. You buy your own!

As a result, the player plays on what the band gives them. Usually the best deal they could get for a set of instruments. Over the years Booseys had this market sown up. Recent problems have opened the door to Yamaha. But for us small makers its only the real diehards who will buy their 'own' instrument that we can stand a chance with.

The American cornet market is different. No lottery money to fight over. No Brass Band Heratige (or baggage depending on what side of the fence you sit). I can sell to US players who want a 'quality' European made cornet, with that sweetness they are looking for. People who can make up their own mind what they want to buy. Result is more Taylor Cornets in the USA that all of Europe put together.

I'm not complaining, just explaining.

All the best.

Andy Taylor
    Taylor Trumpets