why would you want to replace your lead pipe?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stefen, May 25, 2013.

1. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    I have an old (1983) Schilke B6, i have been told that I should consider having a custom leadpipe fitted. What could I expect from this? I play lead in a Big Band.
    Thank you.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, if it's the guy that wants your spot... . :-) Unless there is damage OR SEVERE red rot and it has to be done, I would do nothing. If you want to "upgrade", take your time and research and talk to the guys that make these. Some will send you several to try. If you like the way one plays, you send the others back. There is the issue of getting yours off and putting one on, etc..

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the leadpipe is corroded and pitted beyond hope, then a replacement might be in order. Renold Schilke knew his physics, how to use lab equipment and how to adjust tapers for intonation and response; it is difficult to imagine anyone making a leadpipe that is a better fit for your horn.

4. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    This is what I thought, but I thought I would open it up to hear others opinions.
    Thank you :)

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I played a Schilke B6 for quite a while.....as the lead player in our big band. It is a great horn!

Maybe have a new B6 lead pipe installed if it needs one.

If it doesn't need one, why mess with it?

What are the credentials of the person who told you that?

A custom lead pipe does not mean the horn will be any better, in any way.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Keep the lead pipe you got... it will save you having to take leave to go on a mouthpiece safari... If it ain't broken, don't fix it... I also have to believe with the recommendation you received... some one is after your lead chair.... perhaps when you are out on safari.

7. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    Thank you guys, I think the advice is clear, keep the lead pipe and watch your back. :-?