Why????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Aug 5, 2010.

1. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Another reason TM and similar sites are so important. Thousands of players comparing and feeding off one another...I love it! If only there was a TM trumpet ensemble so we could all play together...like an MMO for trumpeters!

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    As in all things related to the Internet, just be sure that the "information" you read, examine, and absorb is correct.

There is some very good and accurate information out there, and some absolute bunk and nonsense. No quality control. You do not usually know the qualifications, experience, and actual knowledge of any anonymous person who places information on the Internet. Can you always distinguish one from the other? Best be able to do so, if the Internet is a main source of knowledge...

Knowledge is power, but error resulting from fallacious information can be deadly...I always recommend the advice of a qualified private teacher who can see and hear you play, and guide you in the right direction in regard to practice, skills development, and also equipment.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom

Not at all! this post is about general ease of playing, linked to endurance. for an extreme example! imagine if you had two similar players, one played a large mouthpiece and the other played a small one, you asked them to do octave intervals consistently, which one would give out first? you would expect the larger diameter player as his lips have to do more work! get the principal?! so why play a larger mouthpiece because somewhere along the line your teacher told you to?! (this is a very extreme example which gives the way i view this subject!):thumbsup:

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Picking a mouthpiece is something you should do yourself, because no one knows how it works for you but you. Granted, teachers (both school and private lesson) may give both good and bad recommendations - the end product is what counts, though. Players who are early in their development pretty much have to use what the norm is - they don't really have the playing chops to make an intelligent decision. As for your example, in my case, I have better endurance on a smaller mouthpiece, but not to the extreme. I don't play a larger mouthpiece because someone told me to - I do it because I'm willing to give up a little endurance for a better tone. If I practice enough, the endurance is there with the larger piece, so then I have the best of both worlds. If I practice enough...:D

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Who encourages big mouthpieces? Reading the posts here at TM, we seem to have a much more universal stand.

I don't believe that inexperienced players should make any mouthpiece decisions without "professional" help. They may be doing the industry a favor, but that is about it. I think anyone who does not consider a 7C a professional mouthpiece should not be listened to. There is no "non-professional" size. There are a lot of non-professional attitudes though.......

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I started, many moons ago on a 7C. After a few years, I noticed my buddies could get high notes easier with a 10 1/2C, and since high notes = girls, hell, I went to a 10 1/2C.

Now, all during this time, I never thought that much about my sound (I'm largely self taught), as I was serious about sitting first chair, but not for particularly musical reasons. The 10 1/2 was easy and I went with that.

Later, in high school I started to get serious about music and particularly jazz. Really serious. After listening to all of the greats for a while, and starting to really listen to myself, I realized that I had a pinched, tiny sound that I didn't really find very aesthetically pleasing. At the same time, all of the 'serious' players in school were starting to play mouthpiece roulette, in the hopes of finding that magic mouthpiece with which they would sound great and play like Maynard flawlessly. I got off of that wagon pretty quickly.

I started reading every interview I could with trumpet players about their equipment. After a while, they seemed to fall into two categories: guys who played custom equipment and gals who played standard equipment. I'm not a big fan of custom equipment (why is another story) so once I disqualified those guys, I tallied the mouthpieces that the players I liked used. The overall majority played Bach 3Cs. (I'm not saying that YOU'RE favorite players do, but mine did).

I got a 3C and it took me a good six months to feel really comfortable playing it. Not good, but comfortable. I was another 12 years or so before I felt like I was getting to 'my' sound.

I've made a few mouthpiece deviations along the way (over a 30 year period)...I've found that other mouthpieces are either immediately so foreign to me (because of a radical difference in attributes) that I simply can't play with them, or that they are close to my 3C but cause me to become fatigued when playing them. So I've returned to the 3C.

So, I wouldn't say that we're encouraged necessarily to use larger mouthpieces, though it's my experience that most people that I've heard playing a 3c have better sounds in my opinion that people who play 10 1/2C. I mean experienced players here.

Ultimately though, like EVERYTHING else regarding the trumpet, it's a totally subjective thing..everybody's different....

bigtiny

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have never been encouraged to play bigger gear ever.
    I played have played on a 7C equivalent or slightly deeper for my entire time playing.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I played a 10 1/2 C in high school and I once had a band director(who was a trumpet player, a poor example of an instructor, and someone I didn't like) to suggest to me to go with a bigger mouthpiece.
    I asked "Will it help me sound like you!?!
    He said "Yes, it will help"
    I then said "Pass!!!"
    My band director knew:
    I could smoke him with the trumpet on any given day and I guess what, I still play a 10 1/2 C decades later.

9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I have witnessed what the OP is referring to, 20 to 30 years ago: A dictate, in junior high, that all the trumpet players switch to Bach 3C's from 7C's. A strong suggestion, in high school (different director), that all the trumpets should play Bach 1.5C's. A harangue, in college, that all the trumpets should play at least a Bach 3C, if not a 1C.

It used to happen. It probably still does, in some schools.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A bigger mouthpiece in highschool is often the only way to get the edge off of the testosterone controlled embouchure (which is not the same as TCE). It is merely survival for the rest of the band. It has nothing to do with proper development.

If the pubetarians got beaten up for non-musical more in lessons, the 7C would probably be standard everywhere. At least judging from the posting here at TM, they have little interest in lessons and are, in their own opinion, capable of figuring all of this out alone. My take: No investment, NO INTEREST.