Wierd thing!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, May 11, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    My friend plays on a Vincent Bach 3c and i just now noticed the bowl of his piece is now a brownish gold. It started just like any other silver mouthpiece. It's like his saliva is tarnishing the piece. It's still smooth inside and it still plays like a dream for him.

Now this is the really weird part.

I traded him a megatone for a 5c he had. AND NOW IT'S GOLD INSIDE TOO!!!! When I got it it was still silver. Wierd. What's up with this? Is it bad, what should I do?

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    :shock: Scary!

Try this:

Wash-dry-silverpolish-wash-dry :play:

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I've seen mouthpieces turn weird colors in the cup too, including reddish and blueish. My theory is that there may be impurities in the silver from time to time and once in awhile, a particular mouthpiece reacts with a persons saliva just a little. One of those polishing rags for silver plate should clean it up, probably nothing to worry about.

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Yeah it's weird. I washed it with toothpaste and polished it.
    No change
    But you can't taste a difference, or feel one
    so i'm not worried about it

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    My silver Bach mouthpiece too has turned brownish gold, not the other brands. But I haven't found any reason to worry about that...

6. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    I found a couple of old mouthpeices in a box in the garage from 1983. They were
    blackish tinted. I used some "0000" steel wool/liquid soap and they polished right up. I now keep one in the car....

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    fill a sink or pot up with hot salty water and put a piece of aluminum foil in, then the mouthpiece. Let sit for about 20 minutes. Everything turns silver, no loss of material. The "gold" is just tarnish. The oxidation moves from the silver to the aluminum.

8. Mr.Motown

Mr.Motown New Friend

Mar 15, 2009
    detroit michigan
    The same exact thing happend to my Yamaha Mouthpiece. It turned a brownish gold color as well!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You guys have just gotta stop chewing backy when you play. ;-)

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Maybe the silver plate is worn off, and you have raw brass...that's a lot of cleaning to get it to that stage.
    It happened to me on my first mouthpiece in the 1970s. Used Brasso to clean it back then, and washed it well. Looked like Gold for a few days, then back to brass etc. Always played well, but if not cleaned, a black ring on the lips like a bruise.

The oxidation sounds more likely these days. Rowuk's solution sounds good.