wierdest question ever?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Nov 25, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    here it goes... how hard does anyone think it will be to feed an electric wire up the bell, through the valve body, and out the lead pipe?

in case you all are saying "he's nuts...", here's why: i want to make a lamp out of a trumpet. i had one of my horns on it's stand on my coffee table last night and thought it'd make a cool lamp... of course i'm not gunna scrap the $900 kanstul that gave me this idea so i'm going to buy a parts horn off ebay or something. i just want to make sure it's not a completely "impossible" task before i buy a junker off ebay. :dontknow:

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Since it's only for decoration anyway, I'd cut the valves off just above the valve slide openings. With valve housing bottoms screwed off, you could look inside and guide the wire through. You could possibly feed a trumpet brush back through the bell and once you've snaked the wire up to the first valve, loop the wire around the brush and pull it back out the bell.

I've always wanted to do this and use one of the valves for the on-off switch!!

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    BTW my ex father-in-law was a band director and he had lamps made from an oboe, a clarinet and a trumpet. So it can be done.

4. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    good point with sawing the valves... and using a valve as the on off switch... now there's an idea!!

i've done this in past with a surveyor's tripod, made it for my dad and they use it as a floor lamp.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  6. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wait... so i'm not the first person to think of this? thanks chuck, you just ruined my day :: pouts ::

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Why cut the valves? There is a passage right through them when they're up, straight from bell to receiver.
    v

8. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i think it would help to guide the wire through the valve body, i'm not sure if it's a straight run through or if there's any curves once the wire goes into the first valve.

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    There was a pub once upon a time in Birmingham England called the fiddle and bone, that was stuffed with trombones, trumpets ,and bugles with lights in them. They were suspended from the ceiling in all sorts of formations. Stunning pub superb live music (including a Beethoven week would you believe it), excellent ale and good food. Sadly the b****** from the local council and property developers closed it. For me this pub was as much a cultural icon to Birmingham as the local concert hall or art gallery.

Bloomin shame

By the way i disagree, it is not the weirdest question ever. In my eccentric opinion i think it is a spiritual, caring and loving thing to do. In essence you will be be reincarnating a horn from a musical grave.

10. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    that's ashame they closed your pub. sounds like a grand 'ol place. i too have a favorite irish pub in my hometown that i'd be devastated over if they closed.