wierdest question ever?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Nov 25, 2008.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you pull the tuning slide out, even if the passage has some curves, you should be able to get it through. Use some kind of "leader" that is both stiff and flexible (guitar low e string?) or a piece of string with a small weight on one end (like a leadpipe swab), and either gently push or drop it through. Once you have it through getting it to come out the bell should be easy. Then you can pull the wire through with it taped at the back end. Once you have the wire out the bell, run the other end through the tuning slide and into the leadpipe and out the receiver, and then just reinstall the slide.
    V

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Aren't Chinese trumpets already "pre-wired" for table lamp use?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've played some horns that shoulda been lamps! is shoulda a word?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Saw off or immobilize the valves. The edges of the holes are sharp and can cut through the insulation if somebody pushes the valves down. 110V then travels through the brass.................... Make sure that the horn is grounded. I'd hate to see some joker get his chops fried!

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Robin's idea is a good one. Fill the space underneath with pennies or epoxy if you can't get the caps off.
    Instructions for working inside computers often refer to grounding yourself, but almost never tell you to unplug the power cord. Oh well, there are too many of us on the earth as it is.
    veery

6. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    excellent ideas guys!!

very good point robin, that is probably what i will wind up doing.

does anyone remember me talking about my youngest brother's trumpet? the wal mart Simba that my parents bought him in 2006 that they snuck under my radar? well because of my influence they're getting him a "worthy" student horn for xmas, maybe i'll use the simba... it seriously looks more "antiqued" than my '56 ambassador.

we'll see how this project works out, then i'll start taking orders :D

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Ed, I´ll just say this:

YOU CAN DO IT!

We´re ALL behind you, buddy . . .:thumbsup:

8. john2158

john2158 New Friend

Nov 20, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I like that idea.:thumbsup: But why stop there? you have two other valves that could be used to operate switches for music, other lights, hidden rotating wet bar, etc.ROFL