WILD RIDE TOUR - STOP 25 - RACINE

Discussion in 'Horns' started by the chief, Oct 1, 2004.

1. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    I just received the horn today, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

I have 3 pro-horns now in my possession that I can compare the WT to;

1. Lawler LT21B-1A SLS

2. Marcinkiewicz Vermeer Three

3. Bach Strad model 72

As you can see this is some tough competition, so I'll be doing comparisons in several catagories.

Stay tuned....

2. the chief

Feb 9, 2004
    Wow, I really do love this horn. It is constructed very well.

The first thing I noticed was how easy it is to play. Probobly because the WT is much lighter than my Lawler and the valves work so well.

The valves are awesome and actually make playing the trumpet much easier. I don't really like the metal guides (too noisy), but the valves work so well that I can overlook that. I prefer the WT's valves to my Lawler's (My Lawler's valves are not Getzen, but some German mfgr).

I had some intonation issues at first. I had to pull the slide out alot, but that is no longer necessary. I am playing this horn using a 1993 Bach 3C with a drilled out throat.

The sound on this horn is very nice and 'legit' sounding to me. The dynamic control I can get on this horn is great. It doesnt' sound as nice as my Lawler though. I tried this horn out on a gig yesterday at an art Museum that is like a huge hall, and it didn't seem to carry or sound as fat as my Lawler's tone. Again, maybe due to my mouthpiece config.

I will try this horn out in several more situations as the week goes on, including lead-trumpet. It will be a tough match for the WT to out-lead my Lawler and especially the Marcinciwicz. So far the Marc. is the best sounding lead-horn I've ever played.

By the way you've probobly noticed I haven't compared much to the Bach Strad. The reason for that is that, in my opinion, the Strad is so far behind the other horns in nearly all the categories that we can leave it at that. The Strad is stuffy, the valves are sluggish, and it has way too much resistance for me.

Stay tuned for more reviews.

3. the chief

Feb 9, 2004
    The more I play the WT, the more I'm impressed with it.

I will say right here and now, that the WT plays better lead trumpet then my Lawler.....MUCH better.

I felt like I could play all day on the WT, and all the notes above hi C were absolutely fantastic. My endurance was stronger today than it has ever been because I used the WT, and I did some serious screaming in my solos. I didn't have to worry about whether I was gonna hit the note, it was just there. The confidance I have playing lead with this horn is awesome.

I have to ship it off in the next few, but I sincerely wish I had one of my own. I said earlier that my Lawler has a better fatter sound then the WT, and that still holds true, but that's not to say that a 'fatter' sound is desirable in all situations. The WT seems to hold back in some areas where my Lawler doesn't. I still can't get the fat sound I want in the lower register, but I find the WT to be good in all situations, and it's a joy to play.

I'm a pretty strong player, so the larger bore was really good for me and it made playing trumpet much easier. I still can't find my 'sync' when doing my arban's multi-tonguing drills.