Wild Thing Comes To College Station!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Oh boy, here we go. Now ya'll get to read my unqualified opinion of Flip's horn. Luckily it arrived just after the last round of tests before Thanksgiving, so I have some time to really "examine" this thing. So here goes...

First impressions:
    Silverplated horn, pleasant surprise as I figured that they'd be using a lacquer for the tour. Everything is in good working order. Comparing it to my Olds Studio showed that it was heavier and shorter, with a larger bell flare. Boy, you can really tell this has the metallic valve guides on it, but the valves are definitely pretty quick. The finger ring on the third valve slide is just a bit too tight to actually get my finger comfortably through it, thumbsaddle is perfect, though. Pulled the slides to check alignment, and it is on the money.All in all, it is a beautiful piece of work.

You guys are probably ready for me to hurry up and tell you what I think of its playing ability. Well, unfortunately, that won't happen for a while yet. Today is the dedication of the Bonfire Memorial on campus, so naturally the whole place has shut down, band hall, and the practice rooms at the student center. The practice rooms should reopen around 4 or so, I think, so I might get to play it then, and I have a trumpet ensemble rehearsal tonight at 8, so I know I'll be playing it then.

And just for a heads up, this thing will also be at a concert band rehearsal, and a Hullabaloo gig to see just how versatile we can get with the horn (Tom, it's ok, I swear, nothing will happen to it, just breathe...).

Guess I'll be back later

2. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, first playing impressions (please note, all of this was with a Bach 3C):

4 pm or so- Student Center practice room(horrible accoustically) first chance to actually pick up the WT and play it. Had the #1 slide in. Warming up, I can't really say that the WT appealed to me more than my Studio. Finished warming up and changed over to the #2 slide. Did some lip slurs. Then I played a selection from Hummel's Trumpet Concerto on both slides. Call me crazy if I'm breaking what is supposed to happen here, but here's my impressions on the slides:
    #1: felt tighter than #2, very bright sounding
    #2: more open, had the darker tone to it
    Slotting on this horn was good, but still had some room to play around with. Also, intonation was excellent. But still, I didn't really think it was living up to the hype. Had to leave for a math tutorial

8pm-Small ensemble rehearsal (larger room, but still not great) ok, now I'm starting to get used to what this little darlin' can really do. I left the #2 slide in. There were 12 of us in there, ALL of them (except me of course) on Bach Strads. At one point, we were tuning an E in the staff, and the WT was the only horn that was perfectly (and I mean perfectly) in tune, with very little of that being accomplished by me. Dynamic contrasts are very easy with this horn, and that can probably be attributed to its amazing projection. It really puts the sound out there. Playing at the softer dynamics also seemed slightly easier. It is definitely more open, I think, than my Studio, and extremely more open than the Omega. It is also more open in the upper register. You wanna talk about a nice fat sound on a high C? This horn just defined it. So, to summarize, Tom Turner should be grateful that I had some time with the Studio to help me get ready for better horns, or else I would have run off with this thing and you'd have never heard from me again! :D

I'll post my other impressions as I have chance to play more.

3. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Time for another update-

Ok, just got done with my morning warm up routine. Just some wholetones, lipslurs, and a few Clarke exercises that I do in between classes to get ready for band, which I really don't have enough time to comfortably warm up for. Have I mentioned that I'm really starting to like this horn? I'm finally starting to get a feel for it. I'm gonna try it out for band today, which means a nice big open band hall for a change. I'm also gonna test the tuning slides again, after reading that I apparently have them backwards (#2 is supposed to be the tighter one, instead I found it more open). Maybe it's just me, but we're gonna find out for sure what I think of which slide today. Warming up was much easier, and produced a much purer sound than with the Studio. I also seemed to be able to center the pitches much more easily than yesterday, which means that my first experience might have been diminished by my inconsistency, not the quality of the horn.

Oh, and if anyone has a question or an idea of something to try out on this thing while I have it, just post it. I'm running out of stuff to play!

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  5. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    yeah, right, I'll get right on that one...

Ok, so I just got back from band rehearsal. Turns out that a correction needs to be made- the #1 slide is more open than #2. I dunno why I didn't feel it earlier, but I felt it about 5 min ago, so we'll just go ahead and say that the #1 is the more open of the two. Also, I'm really starting to notice how much more air the WT needs. I realized that I wasn't making it to my normal breath spots, which made a few of the stagger breathing pieces we play a little bit more tricky. I was GULPING air and this horn was taking it. Very nice. I'm not so sure if this is the horn I can envision myself playing something like Bach's Fantasia in G Major with, though. It's hard to tell, because the dynamic contrasts are much easier with this horn, and yet, I don't think the tone is as dark as I want, but it mixes with our all Strad section beautifully (the Strad is the dominant horn around here, in case you haven't picked up on that one yet), and is DEFINITELY better sounding. The tone is much clearer, and while the WT projects much more than the Strad, it isn't asking too much to reign it in without affecting the tone quality.

Well, now I need to satisfy my stomach and race off to see an advisor about next semester. So I'll probably update ya'll on how the WT does in a Pep band situation tonight.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but it seems that you and I had the same kind of response to the slides. #1 is bigger, but for me, it was much easier to control and my upper register was easier and more clear. If you want to read my review (I was stop #1 by the way :) ) here is the link:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1440&highligh

I would love to buy one of these and really run it through it's paces for a year or so, but it's out of my price range at the moment, and quite frankly, these days I'm playing more drums than anything else.

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    trickg, no problem man, supplement this with anything you got

Ok, so I've been back from the basketball game for a little bit (sorry, but I was starving and couldn't post first thing). Impressions? Well, it's kinda hard. I played the gig on my Olds #3, which is basically a shallower 3C, maybe slightly more V'd. But I usually use that instead of my 3C for this kinda stuff, which could probably be classified as lead stuff. Lots of the upper register on this thing, and to make the thing more interesting, we had 97 people up tonight, roughly 20 trumpets, and only 4 were on first, and of the 4, 1 had only been playing for about two weeks, and I have the best range. So guess what that means? When the director calls for a screaming note to end the piece, I get the nod. Yippee. I was pumped for the game to, I was ready to play. Probably too pumped. By the end of the first half, my chops were hurting. But I will say this, the Wild Thing didn't falter a bit. I used the #1 slide. The WT stayed open throughout the whole register, low to extreme high (for me anyway). It stuck with me, and despite my extreme forcing of sound, managed to make it sound pretty decent. As a lead horn, I'd definitely say the WT is comfortable, and I'd really like to try this thing with one of Flip's Jazz slides on it.

Well, I'm beat, it's time for bed.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Do you have any other mouthpieces available for you to mess around with? Just wondering. My Bach 5B does pathetically with my 1503, but rocks with the 37, and my Laskey 1 1/4C does pathetically with my 37, but rocks with the 1503.... You may find certain configurations with the horn works better with different mouthpieces.

Van

9. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Nah, all I got is a Bach 3C, the Olds 3, and a GR 3HC, but I hate that thing so much I never play it. I really wish I'd have had a an actual lead piece like the Schilke 13A4A, a Bach 1 1/2 C, and maybe a Curry 1.5, but life's just not fair to us college students that way.

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    This is going to sound stupid, but am I correct in understanding "lead" mouthpieces being the swallow ones? They're always referred to as "Cheater mouthpieces" around here.

ANYWAY!

I just started playing on my old Merian C Jettone today. I played on it for about a month my Sophomore year, and just couldn't get anything out of it.

Things have changed, to say the least. I can actually play a high F#, which surprised me. Of course, it still doesn't sound that great, but I can always work on it. Just a small victory I can savor. :D

Problems: Pedals were harder to control, and sometimes I had trouble finding notes at louder dynamics. The piece really wanted to push the "Blastissimo." Tone wasn't as dark and full as I am used to, real bright going towards piercing. Wouldn't work with a light bell AT ALL.

BACK TO THE ORIGNAL TOPIC!

Does anyone else in your section have mouthpieces that you don't have? I would really try and find different models, and especially different makers' models.

Van