Wild Thing Cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by brasswithclass, Mar 12, 2004.

1. brasswithclass

brasswithclass New Friend

Mar 12, 2004
    Australia
    I am the proud owner of a Wild Thing Cornet, bought about three months ago and have been blowing it in since then .... I just about have the throws freely moving.

I have resisted the temptation of posting until now to give myself an honest chance at assessing the claims that many make about this intrument called a Wild Thing.

Over a couple of decades I have played on Shilke, Kanstul, Yamaha Maestro, Sovereign (several), Getzen as well as the 8Z Benge.

I also blew on a Zeus Guarnerius and found this to be a fine instrument for price but it reminded me of a Kanstul cornet that one of my students blows. (I think we should call a thing what it is and not rebadge a Ford and then call it a Mazda.)

Anyhow I decided to get a new cornet last year, having played a Yamaha Maestro for about 7 years .... I felt I had reached a barrier to my level of playing that I couldn't get past despite massive amounts of daily practise.

A friend of mine ( a Zeus dealer) allowed me to play on his recently purchased WLID THING and I decided on the spot I must have one. The look alone of it almost sold me. A fine looking piece of machinery. Quality plus! I blew it and was impressed as well.

Anyway ... long story short .... after receiving mine, I noticed immediate endurance improvement as well as range improvement .... I used to stuggle with a D above the staff and now I struggle with the G above that (F nice and clear). I should explain that us Aussie cornet players tend to play deep cup mouthpieces that produce a dark velvety cornet sound. The mouthpiece that I use is a 16 E Yamaha that came with my old instrument. I also play on a Bach 1 and notice a considerable boost in projection and power when I use this mouthpiece to the point where I can get over 30 other people playing. But the sound is condierably thinner and because I play in a brass band .... quality/richness of sound is an important factor.

I would like to hear from someone about what mouth pieces are available with a set up similar to the Bach 1 but with a cup size deeper .... perhaps a compomise between the two of them as the 16E is starting to border on the sound of a Flugel (with a proper Flugel mouthpeice).

2. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
  3. Leatherlip

Leatherlip New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Hi Brasswithclass, it must have been right after you tried Stephen's WLID THING (yes it's spelled wrong on the bell) that I asked him to sell it to me. Its now played 3 or 4 times a week in Chicago. Stephen was great to deal with. What can I say. For me, Flip has made some of the Greatest horns I've ever played. So after getting a Bb and C, I searched for a short Cornet. I started out on a old Mt Vernon 7c, and found that a short shank Wick 4 has worked out a lot better. I also borrowed a Flip Oakes 1.5 short shank. I'm now using a Wick 4 1/2 and would like to try a Sparx real soon.

Welcome to Flip's family and Best Wishes.
    Bill :lol:

4. brasswithclass

Mar 12, 2004
    Australia
    Hi Flip ..... good to see you are up and about ..... I'm just about through with the chore of maintaining all the instruments and practice. Off for a run soon.

I taught my two kids how to put a brush through the lead pipe this morning and how to clean the bottom valve caps ... so thats two instruments less to clean. They're upstairs now and I can hear lip slurs of about 5 or 6 harmonics happening so I guess they're not up to mischief. (It could be a recording though)

The Yamaha 16E has a rim of about 17. 5 or 18 mm and the Bach 1 is similar to that (possibly more on the 17mm side of things) and I think these two mouthpieces sit on my face the best. What do you have in stock that size rim?

Is your cornet designed to take the larger american shank size or the smaller british shank?

regards

5. brasswithclass

Mar 12, 2004
    Australia
    Hello Leatherlip, glad to hear your're enjoying the WLID THING.

Steve's a very good friend .... we've known each other for a long long time.

Thanks for your advice on the mouthpieces.

regards

6. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
    Here are some mpc. size equivalents..

#FO  Trpt. Mpc. .695" Flip Oakes Personal Model = 17.65 mm
    #1 Trpt. Mpc. .680" = 17.27 mm
    #1.25 Trpt. Mpc. .672" = 17.06 mm
    #1.5 Trpt. Mpc. .670" = 17.02 mm

Your mpcs. 17.5 mm = .689" , 18.0 mm = .709"
    Bach #1 .690" = 17.53 mm

In part the feel of the width of the mpc. is determined by the high spot on the rim, as to where it is etc. All Of my rims are copies of the older Bach Mt. Vernon rims, and have a softer bite then the newer most current ones. I strongly suggest the Flip Oakes "Old Style" mpc., as it is a shorter although still American shank or backbore, and has less mass which will give a more authentic sound. It's a bit livelier but still dark sound. The standard blank I offer is a little more heavy, and not so lively as to sound. Too much mass will kill the overtones. I also don't advise some of the other mpcs. which a good mpcs., but they just have too much mass for the sound which I believe your wanting. This is just my opinion, but I have good idea as to what does what to the sound.

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes “Wild Thing Trumpetsâ€
    COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
    http://www.flipoakes.com

"To read what Wild Thing owners say about their horns, click on this"
    http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
    2559 Mottino Dr.
    Oceanside, Ca. 92056
    760-643-1501
    760-643-1511 FAX

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
    http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm

7. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    Brasswithclass,

Even more cornet mps. to consider:

Check out www.sparxmusic.com

the Sparx 2 and the Sparx 2DV both have a deep 'V' cup and a 17mm rim

I'm sure these mps. would be a great match for the WT cornet.

Cheers,
    Ted Sparks

8. brasswithclass

Mar 12, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks for your advise also SparxIII.

A band friend of mine said he has one of your mouthpieces (a 2) which I can try ... but I feel it is probably a similar size to the Yamaha 16E. I'm probaby ISO something a little smaller in the cup as the Wild Thing just sucks in any amout of air I blow in it. .... anyway I'll give it a test and get back to you if I need to order. Also from talking to my friend I believe we may have similar Sunday interests. Got some nice mementos in the mail today from the Japan Staff Band.

regards

(don) brasswithclass