Wild Thing in Green Bay

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Greg5850, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    The Wild Thing arrived yesterday and was it exciting! I had all my mouthpieces at school except a 7C so I gave it a go. What a free, soaring sound. My first thought was "sizzling silk". It responded so smoothly but put the sound "out there" so well.
    More first impressions-One of my fellow band directors did listen to an A/B with the Thang and my Bach LT37. ( He has heard me play numerous horns through the years.) He said he liked the way I sounded on the WT the best of any, that it was big and round, even when I used my "lead piece" (Warburton 6S) I also played the Thang with my Bach 1 1/4C. Lead pipe #2 (starts at .460 tapers to .470) worked better with it. For me it's small piece/big slide or big piece/smaller slide. Seems to be logical.
    I gave the WT my slotting test which is the arpeggiated section of Clarke's "Stars In A Velvety Sky". Those notes slotted so well, it was like playing them on a keyboard!
    More later
    Greg

2. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    More impressions

Just had my first full day with the WT. I ended up with the #1 slide back on and a Yamaha 16C4 mouthpiece. I love the free and seemingly effortless blow! I played many of my "standard repertoire" tunes from Trumpeters Lullaby to Carnival of Venice. It seemed to be the least effort I ever expended playing. My endurance was better, my range was easier, my sound was big, round and singing, and notes seemed sure. In many ways I thought it was the best I had ever played some of those pieces, and I've been at some of them for almost 40 years. I'm really impressed!
    When I picked my Bach up again it seemed small, tight and stuffy. I might add that I have been trying trumpets for the last 10 years, looking for one I liked better than my Bach. In the end they all came up short in one way or another. I still need to put the lead piece on and try the WT with a Jazz Band or Pep Band and see if it can cut like my Bach.
    Next week I have a friend who was on the "Blast II" tour who wants to try the horn. I'll share his impressions.

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Greg,

I usually stay off these threads but your impressions were the same identical ones that I had when I first picked up a Wild Thing in 2000.

Like you, I have a lot of pieces I perform live that I've done for years . . . so the results stunned me. Also, on long gigs with bands and combos I've been with for years, I discovered that the horn gave me an easier blow, greater endurance . . . and the ability to go out further on a limb during solos and come back down safely. At the SOUND . . . !

I must say . . . 3 1/2 years later . . . that I still get the same feeling each time I play it . . . though I'm still amazed at the differences. Thanks again, Flip!!! :D

Tom