Wild Thing in Winona

Discussion in 'Horns' started by keith e miland, Oct 22, 2004.

1. keith e miland

keith e miland New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    Winona, MN
    The horn arrived around 6 PM on Tuesday evening. It is well packaged. Everything that every one else has said about the horn case is true.

My thanks to Tom and Flip for letting us all get a chance to try this horn.

It may have been noted before, but unfortunately someone put a good ding in the bell. I looked the horn over and polished it up a little and didn't see much additional wear and tear damage. There is a photo in the horn case of the horn and the ding.

I've only had a chance to play the horn for an hour. The sound is incredible. The horns arrival coupled with me getting Riffed (reduction in force) has left me scrambling but I will give the horn a much better work out this weekend and post some more later.

It's really an impressive sight when I put the trumpet next to my Wild Thing fluegel!!!

Cheers.

2. keith e miland

keith e miland New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    Winona, MN
    The "Thing" is all boxed up and ready for the road. I really didn't want to see it go but under the present circumstances..... someday.

My thoughts:

The valves on this horn are great as I would expect. That's the first thing I noticed when I got the fulegel.

The finish and workmanship are first rate just like my flugel.

Like a good many of the posters the #2 slide worked better for me. I couldn't over blow the horn like some other horns I've played.

The sound I got from the horn was awsome. It was this great big wall of sound. I use a Curry 5TF and I believe I could blend right in be it a brass quintet or a jazz band.

Thanks again Tom and Flip for the opportunity to play this marvelous instrument.