Wild Thing Tour is OVER!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mark935, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Ladies and gentlemen,

The Wild Thing Trumpet has returned home to Flip Oakes. He picked us up today at Oceanside Airport and he was an excellent host; and a wonderful man.

I don't know what to say that you guys haven't already said.

The music CD on top of his stack was one by Tom Turner. With those of Dan McMillion nearby.

I need to let everything sink in-- a couple guys like a player named Josh has a pretty gold horn ready to go. (I didn't play it or touch it but Flip let me play his own personal horns.) Look, don't touch the customer's horns.

It was an amazing day. I never knew a cornet could play so good let alone the Bb trumpets.

Flip returned us to the airport and I had the chance to use my "Instrument" rating-- it was overcast at 200ft.

Paula and I made it home safely in the Cessna 182; made the call to Flip to let him know we made it home safely and "All is Well that Ends Well!"

More later, I've been up for over thirty hours.

Thank you Tom Turner and Flip Oakes. I don't think I'll ever get the name "Wild Thing" out of my head now.

mark manda

2. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Very rich sound. The different slides give it a different personality.

Then it starts lighting up and never seems to loose it's rich sound. Lightweight feel and sound but not brittle and thin. I was surprised at how well it played in tune on a C sharp above the staff. And it didn't give me a headache while holding out high G's.

The free blow allowed me to attempt stuff I would expect my other horns to falter on. Fast responsive valves. Slides and horn adjusted and honed by Flip. (for lack of a better word.)

I don't like compromising so I put my good horns up for sale.

Thank you Tom and Flip.

3. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    I would like to thank Flip and Tom for putting this together and allowing so many of us to try out such a wonderful horn.