Wild Thing Tour Stop # ?? (Oklahoma leg)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trodecke, Oct 31, 2004.

1. trodecke

trodecke New Friend

Jan 7, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I got the horn late yesterday and, unfortunately, it couldn't have come at a worse time. My wife is in Korea for a month working on family matters and I'm home playing Mr. Mom to my two little ones. I should still be able to get some good time in on the horn though.

First, a couple of sentences about me so you'll know where this review is coming from. I'm not currently a professional though I have been in the past (made all my income from playing). My major in college was music education. I've played with some big name groups and individuals back in the late '80s, mainly because of my friendship with Larry Skinner. Currently I'm satisfied playing at church and doing some recording at home.

When I first looked at the horn I realized what a thing of beauty it was. The finish is superb and if it's weren't for the ding on the bell, it would be in mint condition. I also noticed a very small ding on the bell right where the tuning slide would hit it if it were pulled out. It's almost undetectable and is more of a scratch than a ding.

The valves were very sticky so I put some of the included valve oil on them and they freed up quite a bit. The first valve seems to stick about half way down. I'm sure it's just because of the varied use this horn has gotten. No two players press the valves the same way so it's not had a chance to get broken in properly. I can tell the valves work great as #s 2 and 3 work flawlessly.

I waited till today to actually play the horn as I wanted to give it more than the 20 minutes or so I had yesterday and I'm glad I waited. The horn came with the #2 slide in it (#1 was in a pocket in the case). As I played the horn I noticed a very mellow, almost dark tone. It was a great tone for a jazz player or an orchestral player. I use a Schilke 13a4a and I had to work to get a bright tone on it. Usually I have to work to keep it from getting too bright. I realized too late that the #1 slide was the bigger, more open slide. I'll get a chance to use that one tomorrow at church.

On playing it, I noticed the same thing many others had noticed, I wasn't fighting the horn any longer. I thought my Bach 72* was an open horn but this WT just put it to shame. I was able to go from a high G (octave above) to a G below the staff without ever losing anything on the horn. The low G was as clear (though my tongueing technique wasn't :) ) as the G above the staff. On my Bach I have to drop my jaw quite a bit and really think "hot air" (thanks Pops!) to make the low G sound. I didn't have to do that at all with the WT.

With the #2 slide in I noticed a few intonation problems at the beginning but it was probably because of my smaller mouthpiece coupled with the smaller #2 slide. I'm hoping it gets better tomorrow with the #1 slide in.

I took the horn for a real ride and was quite pleased with the results. I played various things from jamming with a recording to excercises in the Arbans. I couldn't find anything that the WT hindered me on and in fact, did better on the Arban's than I ever did with my Bach.

I suppose this is enough for now. I'll post some more tomorrow after church to let everyone know how things went with the #1 slide.

Lastly, thanks Flip and Tom for making this possible.

2. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
    The Eight different tuning slides available for Bb Wild Thing Trumpet really makes it 8 different trumpets all in one !

Standard Slides with the brace......

From smallest to largest they are:

#2 (smallest or tightest) ML bore top leg of the tuning slide, ML+ bore in the tuning slide bow, L bore bottom leg of the tuning slide that enters the horn. Great for Symphonic Playing.

#3 (larger) ML+ bore top leg of the tuning slide, ML+ bore in the tuning slide bow, L bore bottom leg of the tuning slide that enters the horn. This Slide gets a more Brilliant or 'Glorious' sound for Orchestral or Symphonic Playing.

#4 (larger then #2+#3) ML+ bore top leg of the tuning slide, L bore in the tuning slide bow, L bore bottom leg of the tuning slide that enters the horn. Big feel warmer sound.

#1 (Largest) L bore top leg of the tuning slide, L bore in the tuning slide bow, L bore bottom leg of the tuning slide that enters the horn. Most open blow, and biggest boldest sound of all.

The Bb Wild Thing Trumpet will still be sold as before with the #1 and # 2 as stock items.
    The #3 and #4 slides will be sold as options.

Most players start out by playing the #2 slide when they first get the horn.
    When they want a more open sound and feel", they play the #1 . The #1 slide
    is what I always play, and this is what consider the horn to be. If the
    players find that the #2 is too small , and the 1 is too open ( big), well
    then they have the option of the # 3 or the #4 slides... Its whatever the
    player wants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For All Wild Thing Owners !!

The All New 'J' Tuning Slides For The Jazz Player

They're available in all the 4 different sizes just as the standard tuning slides are.

How do they differ?

They look like all the other standard Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet Slides, but they don't have the brace from the upper to lower leg. The sizes 1-4 also run the same as to design of the standard round tuning slides.

So What Makes Them So Different?

Where the standard tuning slides all offer strong defined resonance in sound, and strong slotting. with strong and more definite parameters, which makes great for all kinds of playing, The New 'J' series slides offer more flexibility, with a totally different feel, and feel of resistance, just great for Jazz !!

The New 'J' Slides change the feel, and allows the Wild Thing to be even more flexible. The slots are not as pronounced, allows for more fluidity in playing fast jazz type lines. The resistance, is also different, as there is a soft gentle wall, that can easily be blown through in all ranges.

These New J series tuning slides will give you, more real variables to use for different size rooms, and for different acoustics. It's not so much which one plays better, it's now you have more options. It's like having a dial on the horn as to feel, and the size, and shape of sound. For The Jazz Player, this is a dream come true. Available in 4 different sizes. J1, J2, J3. and J4.

#J2 is bright, and adventurous. The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible, very focused.

#J3 is somewhat more open then J2, and perhaps a little more crisp. The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible, bright and focused.

#J4 Is more open then the #3, and it's a Strong BOLD Sound with Edge. This is a very strong open sound, again The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible. Focused but with a larger core.

#J1 Is the most open. It's a Strong Sound with Edge, and tons of carrying power. This is the strongest open sound, again The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through. Again the upper register is incredible. Focused but with a even larger core.

These slides now make the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet the most versatile Trumpet ever made. Eight very different trumpets all in ONE !!

You won't believe it until you try it............

LACQUER SLIDES $135.00 each
    Silver Plated SLIDES $145.00 each
    Gold Plated SLIDES $175.00 each

Shipping $5.00 for up to 4 slides per package.

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes “Wild Thing Trumpetsâ€
    COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
    http://www.flipoakes.com

"To read what Wild Thing owners say about their horns, click on this"
    http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
    2559 Mottino Dr.
    Oceanside, Ca. 92056
    760-643-1501
    760-643-1511 FAX

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
    http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm

3. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Flip,
    It's good to see you post about this fabulous horn! I was wondering when we would hear from you!

I wondered, too, about the difference in the tuning slides and checked out your website to see why there was so much difference. After seeing the #2 took me from my Bach ML to the .470 of the Wild Thing it was easier to understand why it fit me so well to begin with. It's good that you've taken the time to explain to all who haven't yet had a chance to play your magnificiant horns how the different slides vary and the sounds you get from them!

Thanks for allowing us to try your super trumpet! :D I don't know if I'd have ever gotten a chance to try one but am now convinced that I must have one!

Happy high notes!!

4. trodecke

trodecke New Friend

Jan 7, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hi Flip!!!

I definitely liked the #1 slide over the #2 slide. While I wasn't able to get the warm almost dark sound I got with the #2 slide I was able to get the piercing lead sound I prefer and need for my church work (we're definitely not a hymnal kind of church :) ).

I noticed that this horn is somewhat more light than my Bach 72 lightweight. While that's not a good thing or a bad thing it really impresses upon you the engineering involved in it to get the warm dark tone with the #2 slide.

I was also very impressed with the "blow" of the horn. During my lesson with Pops last year there were a couple of times I nearly blacked out as I tried to extend my range. According to Pops it was because there was a bottleneck in the horn somewhere (probably the throat of the mouthpiece) causing some backpressure. With the #1 slide in I never had this problem. Our first song this morning kept me at F above the staff. With my Bach I've had times where my head started to feel light and I'd get a bit woozy trying to play up there for that long. With the WT and the #1 slide I stayed up there the entire song and never once felt light headed.

Now for the final analysis, would I buy this horn? There are definitely things about it I like, not having to "fight" the horn being the main one. I like the way it sings in all the registers. It doesn't feel tight in the upper registers and doesn't feel stuffy in the lower register. I actually prefer the valve action of my Bach to the WT but that's more than likely because I'm used to it. The metal guides on the WT give it a "mechanical" feel. Seeing as I'm a computer geek, the best way I can describe it is saying the WT is more like an older IBM keyboard with the true keyclicks and the Bach is more akin to the newer keyboards.

I've been playing my Bach 72* for more than 20 years now and am very attached to it. However, given the opportunity, I'd buy the WT in a heart beat. Just wait till February rolls around and the tax refunds come in. Perhaps Santa will be a few months late for me this year. :)

Thanks Flip and Tom for making this possible. Flip, you've got a horn that beats any others I've looked at and is well deserving of all the praise it's received. Tom, you're a wonderful person for putting this tour together and allowing us to try out this extraordinary horn!

5. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    trodecke, please email me at [email protected].

i am next on the wid thing tour.

thanks,
    brad

6. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    i got you email terry. i emailed you and haven't heard back so i'm wondering if maybe its not getting thru. also because tom had sent us both a contact email several days ago that I think you may not have received.

if your not getting my emails let me know and i'll try to call you and give you my address.
    thanks.