Will a dent actually effect my sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andrewlee1206, Nov 23, 2014.

1. andrewlee1206

andrewlee1206 New Friend

Jul 26, 2014
    I'm in high school now, and I was looking at some dents I gave my trumpet in seventh grade, and I was wondering if I needed repair. There are 2 very small crease dents going up the bell flare that I got when I accidentally hit my stand, and two tiny ping dents at the base of my bell. Would those dents create any semi-major differences in my sound? I don't care much aesthetics in this case because the dents are really subtle, I was just wondering if my sound.

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Hi andrewlee1206, welcome to TM! Little dimples or small dents in the bell flare typically don't have any effect on your sound. On smaller tubing or in the bell bend would be another story if the dents were larger, changing the air pathway. That being stated, I suggest you buy a new horn. Just kidding, but we have to keep the industry alive! Just practice a ton. Take private lessons. And be the best trumpet player you can ... all while enjoying every minute of it!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Based on your description, I would say no, but as cyber said, you can always buy a new horn!!

:welcome::welcome::welcome::wave::wave::wave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave:

4. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I dropped my trumpet on a marble floor, squashing the bell and knocking it out of alignment completely. I took it to get repaired and, while the bell is round again, the repairer couldn't realign it fully. That happened about 10 years ago and it still plays well, so a few minor dings won't affect the tone at all. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis though :D Anyway, welcome to TM! :play:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A big portion of our playing is mental. Dents can change our concentration during performance (looking at them and thinking about their impact, when to get them fixed,.....). I would say, get them removed.

If your daily practice routine has dents, you should have them removed too..........

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My wife suggests that I sell you one of my horns, which are dent-less, because I can "only play one at a time, anyway."

I beg to differ. I need every one of them.............

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    They will not affect your sound. Should you want to have them removed, ask if you can watch. A good tech can make it look like magic.

8. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    Well if you need to save money then you probally do not need to, I have a Bach tr500 thats got so many dents from middle school, it's not even funny. Also my bell is partially flat on one side, I marched with it and played it many times, and it is fine sounding.

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Wow tr500... And I thought the old junker tr300 I had during grade school was bad ROFL

10. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    Hahaha so funny hahahahahahahaha so so funny.

I see how it is...