Will a root canal affect my playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Mar 11, 2014.

1. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    I'm getting a root canal in my upper left tooth. Will this affect my playing? If so, how long will it take to recover? I have an important audition coming up in either April or May.
    And to anyone that has every gotten one before, does it hurt? :-(

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Had it done to my right top front tooth (along with a post and crown) not long after I started playing (about 38 years ago), after I broke it just above the gumline when I fell skating.

I remember the injection hurting a bit (I was only 10 or 11) but after getting numbed up, not a lot of pain, just a couple of long, tiring sessions with my mouth wide open.....

Not sure how long it will take to get back to "normal" playing as it was so long ago for me and I was just a novice, but I suspect that it will not take too long.

3. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I had my top left K-nine done, carbon fiber post and crown. Might feel odd and possibly a little sensitive to pressure for a couple of weeks. Not painful at all, modern dentistry has come a long way. A long session of grinding that was not particularly pleasant but not painful.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Everything affects everything. Root canals do not change the geometry of the mouth so you will not have to relearn habits. If you have had pain for a while, your body has been conciously or unconciously compensating. That will be the biggest change.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi yousuckattrumpet,
    Your best bet is to ask your dentist.
    Dr.Mark