Will playing trumpet while sick make me feel worse?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NeonMarmot, Dec 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    Hi guys,

I have a weird cold/fever/stomach bug thing goin on, will I feel worse if I play trumpet?

Thanks!

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Will you feel worse if you play? That's a tough one to answer, since it will depend on how bad you feel or how sick you are. But for me personally, I usually continue to practice and play when I have a cold or upper respiratory infection. But I usually don't push things too much.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mike

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You might get a headache from the sound and the back pressure. Spitting sick germs into a trumpet does not sound like a good idea.

4. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Not in my experience. Bear in mind though, that if you play while sick, you need to sanitize that baby thoroughly, and often. Else the horn will get *foul* and you'll keep getting sick over and over from it. :)

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I usually clean my horn and mouthpiece after I'm sick.

6. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    I've only been washing my mouthpiece at the start of each day :S... oy ok... I'll give it a full bath after I'm feeling better?

Thanks guys! I guess I'll just play some long tones and slurs to keep things functioning

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just remember: Don't try the high range while you're having the runs!

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    This is a good question I haven't wanted to create a thread myself :oops:, but I really wonder how Pros manage colds. I have had a bit of a cold recently myself. I found that it did affect my playing, and to some extent I felt less well after playing, but when I was getting better it seems to have helped clear out the lungs with the deep breathing and I was able to return to normal faster whereas in the past I tended to have a cough for while. Of course I gave my horns and mouthpieces a thorough soaking with antibacterial soap afterwards.

9. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Keep playing as much as you can while ill. In fact it's been proven that playing/practising while sick is good medicine.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tjer, that is pretty stupid advice and has NEVER been proven. It has been proven that the trumpet magnifies just about everything. That can also include the symptoms of all sorts of things. A cold may not generally slow me down, but it ain't generally good medicine to ignore it.

Just think about why we get sick. The body is weak and needs a time out to get better. There is a real purpose for mucous, fever, sneezing, coughing, runny nose and the like. Doing things to supress them actually does not make the body "stronger".

Like anything else in life, if you are in tune with your body and listening carefully to what it is saying, the right decision is not hard to make.