Will playing trumpet while sick make me feel worse?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NeonMarmot, Dec 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Not worth the comment rowuk would comeback with.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with rowuk. But I can appreciate the spirit of Tjer's statement. In some situations, playing the trumpet may be "therapeutic". But in this context, I don't think I'd go so far as to say it is "good medicine".

I agree, but with some qualifications. These symptoms (mucous production, fever, etc) are part of the body's inflammatory response. They happen for a reason. It's not always good to suppress them, but sometimes it is.

Sometimes these inflammatory responses do more harm than good. In these cases, it can help to temper these responses. For example, we use ice or ibuprofen to temper the inflammatory response after a muscle sprain. In addition, tempering this inflammatory response can be life-saving during an asthma flare, for heart disease, for a severe infection, etc.

I'm not trying to nit-pick. But I don't want people to assume that the body's responses to illness (although natural) are always beneficial. And rowuk's final comment (to listen to your body) is the best advice any of us can give.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I always feel worse if I don't practice.

5. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Well said Rowuk....:D

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

6. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    If I'm puking, and have the runs at the same time(which seem to go hand in hand!),the last thing Im gonna be doing is grabbing my trumpet and blow for an hour.........just sayin.......a cold usually doesnt stop me,though......

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    See a Medical Doctor and heed his/her advice, not any here, including the Docs on this forum that have not examined you directly!

Personally, considering playing our instruments as a job, if you don't feel well enough that you call in sick ... don't play.

8. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I have found in MOST instances, I feel better and more energized when I play my trumpet while being a bit under the weather. I believe that doing something I truly LOVE makes me feel better emotionally, mentally, and physically as well. Granted if I can't roll my butt out of bed, I don't go grabbing for my trumpet either...

But colds... allergies... muscle soreness... even light stomach bugs... anything LIGHT... I more often then not feel better after playing my trumpet. Headaches are an oddity though... sometimes I feel better sometimes worse, go figure ---

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've chosen to practice sometimes, sometimes decided better not to. Like Rowuk said, listen to your body. When I feel terrible, I try not to stress my body out (for me, trumpet playing can be an exertion at times). But when I just have a cold, I go ahead, because I love to do it. Whether this is "correct" or not? I don't really care, works for me.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I think this was what Tjer was trying to say. Doing something you love can have therapeutic benefits.