Will switching horns help long run?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Aug 28, 2009.

1. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Hey guys, ok, I'll get to the point. I'm a junior in HS and i own two horns, a Bach Strad 43 and some sort of blessing. Now the Strad is new and sense I want to take care of it im not using it for my marching band. I think the blessing is a good horn, but recently two people have said it's restrective in the upper register and it DOES feel a little harder to hit those high notes.

So here's my question. Can a horn really hurt your range or is it just in my head?

Also, when i switch back to my strad in two months, will this cause a boost to my playing?

Thanks

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A trumpet can hold you back.

When I was in your position, I played the marching horn on the field and played the Strad at home and for other sitting down bands.

3. Microtrumpet

Microtrumpet New Friend

Sep 3, 2006
    Elmer, NJ/Fort Kent, ME
    I used my Conn director for marching band and it got the job done but for everyting else I used my strad. and since I dont play in marching bands anymore I never use that horn. And yes a trumpet can hold you back my conn did for years until I got the strad.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Find the cheap Kelly mouthpiece that plays well on your Blessing and use that for marching. They're a little more open.

Tom

5. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Yes, A horn CAN hold you back, However, How sad would you be if you took you Strad on the field only to have a Colorguard girl nail it with a flag? (Don't lie, you would cry) I feel that as long as you continue to practice on your Strad daily, and use the blessing for marching only, there will be no problems.

Good luck,
    Jason

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have a Blessing trumpet and cornet. They are fine players. But, there are some issues to consider. First, any time you switch between two different instruments, you may notice a difference. That does not mean that one is good and one is bad - they can both be good but they have a different "feel". For example different instruments "match up" differently with different mouthpieces. Are you using the same mouthpiece for both trumpets? Either way, the Blessing trumpet may not match well with the particular mouthpiece that you are using. If there is a music store near you that will allow you to try different mouthpieces, take your Blessing there and try some until you find one that works well with it. If there are no stores, maybe you could take a can of Lysol spray to school (if they allow that) and offer to clean some of your band-mates mouthpieces in exchange for allowing them to let you try theirs in your Blessing horn. That would allow you to try different ones.

If you approach the matter systematically like that, you should not need to worry that the Blessing will have a bad effect on your playing. Whether you will be able to play better on your Strad when you are done with marching is unknown. But, do not be surprised if at first, you find you play WORSE on your Strad until your chops, and ear, readjust to the feel and sound that it makes.

So, have fun trying this and good luck.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Keep practicing the Bach at home (and in band, if you are doing concert band lit during marching band season). You may feel a little more at home on the Bach, but playing the other in marching band shouldn't throw you off. After all, you're also outside, moving and playing who knows how loud. A little restriction up top would be the least of my worries! :)

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Use the Blessing for marching ,and the Bach for everything else, if it never really bothered you before this difference was pointed out, it could be more in your head than in the actual horns ,besides it shouldn't take more than a few notes to get used to playing each trumpet again. Hey marching band is a war zone for instruments , that's where most dings scratches, dents and just general damage is done.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    How can a horn hold you back?
    Wilmer

10. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Horns are designed in a particular way, some well designed and some poorly designed. Usually the more expensive ones are better designed (i.e. more time spent with scientific equipment measuring and testing things as well as more artist time spent to determine what works best), but I find Olds Ambassador (older ones) and the Yamaha student models are well designed. Some are poorly designed, which is tantamount to having non-musicians design something which looks like a trumpet but has the bracing in all the wrong places to support good resonance and intonation, and very little care is put into the assembly so there are extra blobs of solder on the inside of the tubing at joints, interfering with the natural vibration of the air. Heck, even the placement of the water-keys can have a beneficial or harmful effect -- there were a batch of Bach C trumpets in the 70s/80s where the 4th line D was out of tune unless you turned the tuning slide upside down!

Trumpets can hold you back by making certain notes harder to play, certain ranges sounding muffled, certain notes out of tune, so that no matter how well you might actually play, you'll have to work a lot harder. It can be demonstrated quite easily simply by going into a music store and using the same mouthpiece (your normal one) play a Chinese import trumpet (if they have one -- play a Bach student model if there are no Chinese imports) and then play a very expensive pro horn (Yamaha Xeno, Bach Strad, Schilke) and if you don't notice a vast difference in how you sound and how easy it is to play the more expensive horn I will be quite surprised.