William H. Reinquist ...RIP

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, Sep 3, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Just heard it on the news.....

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    It really bugs me that he didn't resign.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    It is his life, I think he wanted to go out while on the bench......let him end his life the way he lived it.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I wasn't really surprised to hear of his passing, although it sure does put the Supreme Court in an interesting place from a political perspective.

On the subject of his passing while still on the bench, I also wonder why he didn't resign. Perhaps it could be that he simply knew nothing else, and wanted to continue to work as long as he was able. Some people are like that and for them it really isn't about "work" as much as it is a calling.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder if he wasn't trying to hold out for another administration. Again, from a political standpoint, now the court is in need of two justices, as well as a Chief Justice - all of whom will more or less be chosen by President Bush. Potentially, the court could soon be stacked even worse than it already was, which is either really good, or really bad, depending on your particular politcal ideology.

In light of that, could it be that Reinquist didn't like the writing on the wall and wanted to remain on the bench in the hopes that his replacement might be chosen from a future Democratic administration? Considering some of his past writings and rulings, you wouldn't think so, but maybe he would have considered such a lopsided balance of power on the court to be a bad thing for the court and the country. When you consider that Supreme Court justices are usually on the bench for 20 years or more, the ramifications of the current events surrounding the Supreme Court, especially given the fact that the balance of power is likely to become very lopsided, is going to last for decades.

Sorry for the ramble - just voicing the thoughts that have been in my head on the subject since I heard of Reinquist's passing.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    He had one of the worst types of Cancer, he had to have known his chances of making it to another pres where next to none.