Wind Symphony Seeking New Members in Ramsey, NJ

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cvmann63, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cvmann63

cvmann63 New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    As one of the regions most established wind groups, The Ramsey Wind Symphony provides opportunities for qualified individuals to renew, maintain and develop their interests and talents in the performing arts by participating in a positive and uplifting VOLUNTEER musical environment. Since its inception nearly 25 years ago, the RWS has served Northern Jersey and Rockland and surrounding communities for more than two decades, playing a wide range of repertoire of traditional and popular music for many who would otherwise be unable to access such an experience. The season is comprised of regular Wednesday evening rehearsals, and a series of indoor and outdoor concerts, including the annual Ramsey Fourth of July Celebration and Ramsey Day (a festive/carnival day celebrating the end of the summer in Ramsey). The RWS focuses on love of music, craft, enthusiasm, constancy of commitment and effort, the highest possible artistic excellence, and a desire to share the joy of music. We strive to create an atmosphere of accessibility within the community, warmth, challenge and encouragement for its participants, and audience. All are invited to join who love inspiring and expressive live symphonic music performance.

There are openings for experienced musicians in several sections:

French Horn (one opening)
    Trombone (two openings)
    Euphonium (one opening)
    Percussion (one opening)
    Trumpet (two openings)
    Clarinet (three openings)

Visit our website Home - Ramsey Wind Symphony

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Too bad you don't take experienced kids from ramsey! (I go to the high school)

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've never understood why community bands refuse to accept school kids -- I conduct a town band in Hollis, New Hampshire, with 80 on the roster. About a third of them are school-age kids. The youngest one currently is in 6th grade (he joined last year), and the youngest one ever was in the 2nd grade (he sat next to his father in the trumpet section and it wasn't long before he was pointing to his father where they should be playing!).

How can we expect school-age musicians to see that there is a life-long continuum of music if they are excluded from participating in groups which can give them opportunities that their school ensembles can't give. With the blasted block scheduling which many of the schools around here, it's difficult for some students to work in band (they put AP classes opposite band for some bizarre reason) so our community band keeps them from simply dropping out of music altogether, and many come back and rejoin us when they get back from college.

RHSbigbluemarchingband -- move to New Hampshire and you'll be welcome in my community band!

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    In ramsey, the band program is a big part of the school district (we are a highly rated band, band director was a trombonist in maynard's band, knows a lot of pros, good marching band too), but I've noticed there aren't many community bands, which shocks me because the musicianship in the town is very good.

Oh and maybe ill go live with my uncle in New Hampshire!