Winded?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Jun 20, 2013.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hello, I am in need of a few pointers on how not to get winded. I have been asked to play the Battle Hymn of the Republic at an event backing a small chior. Played loudly and for 4 verses I am having trouble getting winded and missing notes and crashing at about the third verse. I played this simple Key of C tune back many moons ago in 5th grade! Posture good, diaphram good, breath marks noted. Any pointers by anyone that found themselves with this problem at one time or another? Perhaps a larger throat mouthpiece?:dontknow:

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Couple suggestions: back off on volume; consider using a mic; consider sustaining multiple-beat notes for a shorter period of time; identify/take opportunities to obtain momentary mouthpiece relief; be sure to fill up at each breath. Good luck!
    Jim

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lift your shoulders while inhaling... Increases lung capacity. Then put force into your upper mid abdomen... Do so by tighten the muscles in the lower abdomen which puts pressure into the diaphragm when you exhale. Then ration the air out gradually, without the need to generate force on muscle charged with producing the tone. Endurance will increase significantly by using this method.

4. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    A trumpet should cut through a somewhat large vocal ensemble. I'm sure you can back off on dynamic a little more with your current group.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hymn playing is one of the most taxing forms of music. I would suggest you play the melody first and fourth verse only. rest the second and maybe play the tenor line up the octave as a descant on the third, assuming a SATB arangement. otherwise play 1st and 4th only.
    If you are the only acompaning instrument dont overblow, you will be heard.

Regards, Stuart.

6. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks all for the good advise. I'm going to need to get this down by the 27th. any good practise tips? I also tend to choke while reading the score my eyes tend to pause on the notes and trip me up when I start getting winded. I am thinking about trying to memorise it to see if it flows better.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Try playing the tune on the mpc alone, and keep listening to yourself. Any flaws will be more noticeable then. And - sorry, gmonady - DON'T lift your shoulders while inhaling. It might increase lung capacity, but will lead to cramping and will actually decrease your stamina. Any professional singer (and singing is very near trumpet playing) will tell you that - my partner's one, and an extremely successful vocal coach as well (just youtube: Regina Schoerg), and does play trukmpet as well.
    Instead of lifting one's shoulders, try and raise your chestand then support it with the abdomen. And always be sure to fully exhale as well, otherwise you will get drunk on air... If you need any further tips, just post a video of your playing, and then we might be able to help even further.

Cornyandy likes this.
  8. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Thats not an option.

grz.

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Gotta say I'm with Barliman on this one, if I lifted my shoulders breathing my vocal coaches would have had a duck fit. You can get a little more air in by shoulder lifting the shoulders but it isn't in control, it tightens the top of the chest restricting airflow

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I wrote above ONLY while inhaling. It will not cramp stamina if once after you inhale, you then relax all the musle you used to make this effort. Once the air has passively filled these areas of your lung, the lift of the assory muscles is no longer necessary. This focuses your energy then to the abdominal muscle that I mentioned in my above post that gives you the support you need for this enhanced air column... WHICH WILL increase your stamina.

I believe barliman was under the impression you leave the shoulders lifted. This will lead to inefficiency.