Winded?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    (sigh) - ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    And that is how I aim for the air to come out.

Regards, Stuart.

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Well, I'm not going to even try to read all of the responses previous to mine, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else. My biggest problem with getting winded was that I was not expelling all of the "used" air out of my lungs before taking a new breath. Nearly passed out in church one morning.

4. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Another angle, that I don't think anyone mentioned yet: Does trumpet/mouthpiece bore have any effect on this kind of breath problem?

I was trying out a large-bore trumpet a few years back, when I was searching for my first pro horn. I found that I was not able to play long phrases with the same amount of air as normally, i.e. I had to take deeper breaths in order to last. By that logic, a player using a smaller-bore horn would have to take more care not to over-breathe.
    I ended up turning down the horn (a Leblanc Sandoval T357) because I felt this would be too big an adjustment for me, other than that it was a great trumpet!

Do you think there is any merit to this, or was my mind just playing tricks on me because I knew it was large-bore?

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Jolter,

I will join you in suggesting that mouthpiece drill size and bore may affect response to breathing. My three pro Bb's include a .459" Strad, a .460" Eterna Severinsen, and a .468" Super Artist. The vintage Blessing mouthpiece I use with the Super Artist has a drill size smaller than what the mouthpieces I use on the other two have, and, though it may not be reliable to do so, based upon outside shank dimensions and playing experience, I suspect bore dimensions in the old Blessing piece are significantly different too. The result of all this is that going back and forth between the three horns is easy, I really notice no adjustment in approach to breathing.

Jim