Windows XP, Savior or Ripoff?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 15, 2005.

Is Windows XP a Savior or a Ripoff?

1. Savior of operating systems

100.0%
  2. Ripoff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Guys

I may be slightly behind the times when it comes to operating systems, but I finially cracked and got a copy of Windows XP Home yesterday.

I was running Windows ME and was coming to a point that I couldnt download a lot of the new software on the www because it is Windows XP compatable only.

I bought Windows XP and like the fresh new look and am enjoying all the new features. It's a very cool ooperating system :-)

The only part I don't like is being forced by the industry to buy Windows XP!

With this new operating system you not only have to enter a buyer code but after it is installed you have to regester your copy with microsoft, or it becomes unusable in 30 days. No wonder so many are pirating this software, its so expensive. Not only that but we are being FORCED to buy it.

No wonder Bill Gates is a Billionare many times over. He controls an industry that forces users to buy his new operating systems because he in turn forces the software producers to make thier software XP compatable only!

I once heard Gates say on TV that theres a point where you are so well off financially that you cant live any richer, cant buy any bigger jets etc. Must be nice Bill. Hope you enjoy adding my $200 + to your 'money to burn to keep your mansion warm' pile. Thank God we don't have to buy Windows XP Pro. Thats like $400!!! Thanks for letting me vent guys. :-?

So do you guys think Windows XP is a Savior of windows operating systems or a Ripoff? I say a little of both.

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I was using Windows 98 for a long time and people were telling me that I couldn't run their software because of the 98.

My computer couldn't run XP so I had to get a new one.

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey B15M

Sorry to hear you had to buy a whole new PC. I know how that feels as we bought a new Pentium 4, 2 Ghz just 2 years ago. Now they are up to 3 Ghz +. Computers are like milk, they should come with an expiry date :lol: We'll probably be forced to buy a whole new PC in a couple years again.

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

4. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    Windows XP is worth it just for System Restore. If your registry gets corrupted, and it will, you just restore it to an earlier time

Abbedd

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Home edition will crash in several months if you turn your pc off occassionally. Another Gates ripoff

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    As long as the restore file was not corrupted

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    XP isn't that expensive if you buy it "preloaded" on a new computer. On the other hand, it would nice if the world could operate on Mac "interchangeably". I know that the necessary evil, Norton, sure slows my system down. I also agree that system RESTORE is a good thing, as is the automatic update feature. I can honestly say I haven't been hit with a virus since I bought this rig about two? or three years back but it sure has caught and quarantined many a virus and blocked many a hack.

You might also consider getting a secondary hard drive (they're dirt cheap) and putting all of your user files, photos, songs, etc. on that as well as saving a "backup" copy of your email address book!

I'm putting XP down as a savior, if a bit grudgingly.

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

It always is on Home edition. OEM home edition doesn't come with ARC. Gates is a crook.

9. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
    I am tired of MS's work arounds because their software is deliberately defective. One prime example is MS deliberately made Word 95 several months before Win95 came out. they advertised it heavily for Win 3.1.
    Guess what? It barely ran on Win 3.1. It was a deliberate ploy to get people to upgrade to Win95

The answer to MS ripping you off is found in warez newsgroups.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    That stuff is way to complicated for me and I can start my computer. I can't run restore though. I emailed back and forth with Microsoft about the problem and then after a lot of email they said they couldn't help me because Del put the software on my computer. I wrote back that they were crooks and it's there stuff. They sent me a phone number to call and the guy was helpful but he could not fix it.

Microsoft is going to continue to thrive until they get some competition. They will probably buy the new company and keep going the way they were but who knows.