Wireless

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 13, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Greetings all

Through the wonders of wireless internet I am capable of having my laptop right here with me in the practice room (mostly for recording). But on a more exciting note, it brings me closer to you guys should I have any questions that arise during my practice session.

Here's the first one. (More of a thought):

Since our lips are muscles and must be warmed up as such, exercized as such and worked out as such etc, would it not make sence that in the building process (building stronger lip muscles) to not always stick to the same exercizes? Would it not make sense to move on to more difficult, say, endurance exercizes, or lip slurring exercizes?

I guess that is why most people come out with more than one volume of their method books. (Could have answered my own question).

Oh boy, this wireless thing may or may not be a good thing :-?

Eric S.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Eric, I have always found that for me, changing up my practice routine and varying my execises has always helped me more than trying to stick to specific regimen of prescribed exercises. Strangely enough, some of the best playing that I do usually comes after I have tried to switch mouthpieces (unsuccessfully) and I go back to what I was using before. Maybe trying to force my chops to use mouthpiece that doesn't really work stimulates the muscles into building up where they were beginning to atrophy before.

A good friend of mine is a physical therapist and he told me once that the body adapts so quickly to exercise stimulus that in order to continue to build and maintain muscle, it becomes necessary to change your workout routine because otherwise you will begin to stagnate in your current routine if you keep it for more than about 2-3 weeks. I don't see where you chops would be much different, but I'm sure there are going to be some who will disagree with me.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BINGO!!!

ML