Wisdom teeth: easier extraction = easier playing recovery?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    I'm supposed to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth out on monday. None are impacted (as of 2 months ago), the bottom two are almost fully in, and the top two are about to start erupting. So the surgery itself should be relatively easy, especially because I'm only 17 so the roots aren't in very firmly. The only reason I needed them out at all is because there wasn't quite enough room for them to full come in without crowding my mouth, so I opted to have the surgery ASAP so it didn't change my oral cavity and mess up my embouchure.

So my question is, to anyone else who has had a relatively easy/unimpacted wisdom tooth extraction, is it generally easier and/or quicker to start playing again? Two of my friends, both my age, recently had wisdom teeth extraction because theirs were impacted, and they had to stay completely off the horn for a week and were advised not to play above the staff for the following week. I am a lead player with a very important lead audition in October that I need a lot of work for, so I would much rather not lose 2 weeks of lead work.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As long as your mouth can bleed, I would not play (behave yourself, rinse regularly with salt water, don't let your blood pressure climb with heavy physical activity, good diet, lots of sleep).
    There are things that you can do during that time to keep your chops from falling apart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_INaCr8rd-E

You can also keep doing breathing exercizes. You play lead, well you probably have to chorus on occasion. While doing the pencil exercize you can transcribe jazz solos.

Don't be stupid and think that October is so close that one week to 10 days is going to kill you. An infection will knock you out much longer. Behave yourself and your playing and attitude will mature.

3. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    The good ole nurse in me because I am one In real life tells me to take it easy for a week maybe two, let that stuff heal, you don't want any prolonged bleeding which can cause some aspiration Into lungs as a possibility and some sort of respiratory distress/pneumonia. Along with that, our mouthes are not a sterile cavity at all. We have bacteria, fungus, and who knows what else we breathe in that could get into our bloodstream and cause a septic infection. If that happens, you are in for a world of hurt depending on how bad it is. Fortunately, you are young and physiologically are far stronger to fight things than some of us more seasoned people. But just play it safe, it 'll be ok I assure you. :)

4. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    I was playing pretty soon after having two wisdom teeth out. Took maybe a week's break from practising. Listen to the experts above. And if it hurts or bleeds, stop!

5. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Thank you all for the responses. If it wasn't clear, I have absolutely no intention of going against what my surgeon recommends; I'm not stupid, I can tell that two weeks off at worst isn't nearly as bad as 2 months if I play early and get a dry socket. I just wanted to get a feel for what that recovery and playing again is like with what I hope to be a fairly easier surgery.

Rowuk, you mentioned the pencil exercise, which I do have experience with and was planning on doing during the week. Do you (or anyone else) know if free buzzing is okay to do as well while recovering? I would think it involves the oral cavity more than the pencil exercise, but it does not involve the pressure that playing the trumpet does.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I wouldn't free buzz, buzz on the mouthpiece or even play long tones pianissimo. Use the time to do a major brain reset - like restarting a PC when it acts up. Learning to fill your days with other stuff "good for you" is not a bad experience. Others would call it getting a life, but they don't understand how a real trumpeters brain works.

If you are still living at home, make a deal out of helping your mom. She for sure paid her dues in your playing being where it is today! It is an investment that has interest that is too big to count............