Wisdom Teeth Removal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DaTrump, Jun 12, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I had my wisdom teeth removed three weeks ago, and I had been playing a lot, more than I should have for the last two months anyway so I needed a week or two off. Well the surgery didn't go great, and I'm just now able to eat solid foods and start playing the trumpet. Here is where the problem lies, the doctor, when sewing up my face, disregarded my mouth structure beforehand and changed it significantly. I didn't think it would be an issue until I got back on the horn. I used to be very lazy when it came to trumpet; when there wasn't school, I didn't practice and I really don't lose much chop wise. However in these three weeks, as apposed to three months, feel like I have gone back years. My tone is completely different, I believe that it may sound better once I get chops back but even after three days its still static-like and not solid, like I am not using a good air support and am not sealing. The syllables that I know and love aren't playing the same, I'm getting a higher compression and didn't use the E syllable until High C. My lower register is not as big and fat as it used to be, not even close. I don't necessarily think this is just from three weeks off, I have a sneaky suspicion that its the change of my mouth shape. My question being, are these suspicions correct or am I just avoiding the real issue?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You will have to explain how the doc "ignored" your mouth structure and what is different. I mean, removing wisdom teeth can be a really big deal and the hole left over does need to be sewn up. The trauma can take a month or two to go away. Short of sewing your tongue to the upper lip, I don't know what the doc could have done wrong......

I think that you have no idea what you are talking about and are trying to macro manage the situation long before the body is ready. This concept "I had been playing a lot, more than I should have for the last two months anyway so I needed a week or two off" is also something that you need to explain. Needing a week or two off? I have been playing for 45 years+ and never "needed" one day off.

What do I read here: a trumpet player with little to no real long term muscle memory or routine had major surgery and has found a substitute event to blame for the lack of consistency.

My recommendation: get a Daily Routine based on stuff good for us, take small steps, build a foundation before messing around with serious stuff and recognize mortality as an asset not a liability.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Actually, yes I do have a routine, printed out with copies in multiple places, just in case, but as much as I use it, I have it memorized. It was complied of several warm ups from my various lesson teachers and the final draft that I have now was made with my trumpet teacher's trumpet professor. I do this routine more than once a day as even if I don't work on etudes I practice twice a day so as to always go forward and not just status quo, and have been for two years though, maybe not a significant time for you or others, but is for me. Now though I am just taking it slow, doing the good stuff, long tones, air flows and some lip slurs until I feel normal again. As for the playing too much being, maybe, well actually probably, I was wrong, though 4+ hours a day of practice plus a performance Friday, Saturday, and Sunday just might be too much for someone with little or no muscle memory or routine and a complete lack of consistency, I'll remember to take it slowly. What I do isn't much compared to you, pros and other serious players but I began to feel the strains of all of this thus feeling the need for a short break. It wasn't just for trumpet either but I needed more time to devote to other aspects of my life.

And as for macro managing a situation when the body is not ready, I agree. My wisdom teeth extraction, as described by the dentist, was a "son of a gun" and my recovery time will reflect that. I also agree about how little I truly understand the situation, I panicked because of it. My results were atypical causing distress; I was seeking for answers before it was time to ask questions. I went back today to get it checked out because I have playing commitments: my mouth is not healing as it should and got an adjusted treatment. It’s swollen still from the surgery and the infection. I found the answer, one with less berating of course. I meant to delete that post as soon as I got back because I realized how rash it was but I’ve been busy finding subs, getting ready for college and working.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think it is mostly a deconditioning of the mouth muscles for three weeks of the horn. Give it time, I do believe this will come back. Start out slowly with your rehearsal plan, and build it up by 20% with each passing week. It may take you at least 6 weeks to see the progress toward recovery.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Very sorry to hear about your slow recovery. Getting your wisdom teeth out, while often necessary, is never fun.

It sounds like you already know what to do. But I admit that it's easier said than done.

Mike

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It's recovering faster now, I'm on a stronger antibiotic which has helped. My playing is coming back little by little, I'm just very impatient as I've just gotten some new music to work on to build up my playing over the summer. Oh well I guess, I'll make the most of it.

7. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    I just got my Wisdom Teeth out exactly 2.5 weeks ago. What's helped me has just been a ton of long tones.
    My playing is already back to normal, maybe a little bit easier even, but everyone is different.

I now have the luxury of owning a flugelhorn, and I feel like that has contributed to my success. Just work in a comfortable range for now, and try to play with the best tone possible.

Honestly though, if you're uncomfortable playing now, I'd give it another week. As I've learned too many times, bad habits are easy to pick up but a pain to break.

Best of luck in the recovery.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Long tones is a great suggestion. Very kind to the jaw. Long slurs and jumping lines are not a good idea for the same reason, as they are not as jaw muscle friendly.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Ill remember that, my jaw isn't as sore but I'll take it slow