Wisdom Teeth Taken Out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CalebWayne, May 27, 2011.

1. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    I was recently told by the dentist that it's time for me to have my wisdom teeth taken out. Is this a good idea? I'm about to start as a music major in college next semester.

2. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Get 'em out and be willing to wait until you're healed. How long? No one knows.

3. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    How badly will it affect my playing?

4. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I got mine taken out in high school. I was told to wait at least a week before picking up a horn. They were taken out on a Monday, and on Saturday, I went and played a parade with the marching band anyway. I was fine*, but I got a nice verbal lashing from the dentist, haha :-P

*Not that I recommend doing this at all :lol:

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    It takes as long as it takes.

wait until you're healed

dry sockets are not recommended and can be avoided by allowing your body to heal at whatever rate it heals

you can't push it one way or they other

6. bluedevils2002

bluedevils2002 New Friend

May 23, 2011
    I had mine taken out when I was 19 yes get them done ...my doc told me better now then later .the later you wait more problems you'll have with them.example you leave them to long your have pains all around your mouth this is caused by wisdom teeth pushing forward making room for them selfs......and has for healing again my doc told me some people were only able to eat soft foods and drinks for a week and others where able to eat steak and do every day normal things the day after. Just on how your body heals...me I was good in two days ....but for those to days I just buzzed lightly with mouthpiece.....didn't effect my chops or any my abilitys I had before surgery gold luck let us know how it goes

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I never had mine taken out! I figure I need all the wisdom I can get. Why get rid of some?:dontknow::-P Wait til you heal. Dry sockets are a beeotch (so I have heard). You will get to take some cool drugs though and eat ice cream!:thumbsup:

8. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Absolutely wait until you are healed. Better yet, wait until you think you are healed, and then another week. Be at least as cautious as your dentist. Also: enjoy the hydrocodone and milkshakes :D

Wisdom tooth removal can be quick and easy for some, and brutal for others, depending on how impacted they are (and probably many other factors at that). Mine were impacted 45 degrees on top, and 90 degrees on the bottom. It was awful, and playing would have been a bloody disgusting mess. On the other hand, I learned to make cold soups!

You will have to work to get your chops back at first, but once you are back at it, it will be like riding a bike.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Follow the advice above and wait until you have healed. As far as the experience, the first one I had out (by a dentist) ended up as a dry socket and put me literally in bed for about 2 weeks-sickest I have ever been. It caused me to withdraw from graduate school for the semester. Didn't play for at least a month. I ended up having a dental surgeon take the others out (2 separate times) and they were absolutely no problem. Seems like I waited a week or so afterward.

After the tooth is removed, there will be a scab. You want to be very careful not to do anything to loosen the scab -like blowing air over it with force.

Best of luck. Err on the side of NOT playing.

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I had 4 of 'em pulled when I was 19, 4 nasty, brutally uncooperative teeth in the rear of my mouth growing at a forward angle and pushing the rest of my teeth forward. I won't lie to you, it was hell, especially the waves of pain indicating there was a problem, which combined with my fear of the needle let things progress until a nice infection set in and went straight to the mastoid bone.

Now I don't screw around with my teeth, without them how could I play......and eat for that matter?