Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sonicgeo2, Dec 13, 2008.

1. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Hey everyone, I am getting my wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday, and am very concerned with how much time I am going to have to take off of the horn. Also, I would appreciate any tips on how to come back to playing after a week or so off. Thanks...

P.S. This really blows because I am trying to get ready for college auditions. :shhh:

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I had mine out when I was in the Army, 2 were impacted so I swelled up like a chipmunk. As I recall (this was in 1971 or so) it was about 3 weeks before I could really play.

3. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Dang... I have FOUR impacted so it'll take even longer for me.

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    DO NOT RUSH back to playing (as hard as it might be)! You can really mess yourself up. Try to be patient and take it easy when you do go back. I learned this the hard way:-(

Good luck & keep us posted -
    Tony

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Good luck with it

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Best of luck and tell your dentist what you do and ask how long you should be off playing.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    2-3 weeks minimum!!! The first week you will be lucky to eat and drink and hopefuly you and narcotic pain killers get along! I was 19 when I had mine removed and it was three days beore I could do more then drink some water. You can not spit, suck on anything etc.....If the blood clots come lose in your socket's they will have to pack them with guaze and stich you up which hurts even more.

Look at this as a chance for you chop's to take a vacation! You can play and practice trumpet in your head though! Your mind does not know the difference and you can even influecence your motor skills just by vivid and lucid visualization. All top level athletes use visualization and mental rehersal! Now is a good time to learn this skill!

8. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    oh....this does not sound fun :-( I´m gona let my wisdom teeth stay right where they are; in my mouth....and hope nothing bad happens couse of that.
    (I can see though that they have not really space there..back in the mouth :dontknow: )

9. Chris Teixeira

Chris Teixeira New Friend

Oct 20, 2007
    Boston
    When I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, I decided to take the opportunity to branch out - I took a few bass lessons! That turned out to be a good idea, as I got a "dry socket" infection, and didn't play at all for 3-4 weeks, so having something else to work on musically really helped preserve my sanity.

10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Glad this topic came up! I too, am gonna have to get my wisdom teeth pulled out. My two bottom ones are growing in on a slant. So, very soon my molers in front of them are going to kill!

My mom said that I'll have to get them out when I first feel any sign of pain.

Man, staying away from trumpet for 2,3 or even 4 weeks is going to suck!

Hang in there Sonicgeo2!!!

P.S. I love your signature!lol:thumbsup: