Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    So I got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. I'm not in too much pain, I can't wait until I can play again buy in the meantime I have a question. When I first felt them growing in I could feel them compressing my teeth together. This closed any space between my front two teeth and made my playing worse. Now that my teeth are out, should my teeth relax a bit more and k
    improve my playing to how it was before? Or am I over thinking this all?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    First, don't play too soon. You don't want to knock off the clot.

I am not a dentist, but would imagine the mouthpiece pressure will move the teeth back to where they were.

3. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    For what it's worth my teeth haven't moved at all since getting my wisdom teeth removed about 15 years ago. Your teeth might settle and adjust a very little bit in the next few months but it's unlikely they'll revert to their pre-wisdom-tooth eruption state. In other words, your playing probably won't magically improve. :-( :-)

In the meantime, take care that your now-empty tooth-sockets heal properly which means don't play the horn or buzz until your dentist says you can!!

4. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Speaking of which, am I going to have these holes in the back of my mouth forever now? They just feel awkward lol.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm no dentist either, but I've sure undergone a lot of dentistry. It was about a month before I began my comeback in 2006 that I had all my wisdom teeth pulled ... and I didn't notice any movement of others. Now I'm not sayin' that some people may but I wouldn't expect it ... but I think a lot depends on ones age. Well now just about age 77, I'll not worry about it as I now have a full upper denture and a partial lower leaving only 4 natural teeth.

6. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    No, the holes will go away in the next several months. Then years from now you'll be explaining what wisdom-tooth extraction feels like to someone and suddenly you'll realize that you miss prodding those empty tooth-socket holes with your tongue..

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    You'll not miss them eventually. I had one that didn't emerge, it had to be cut out after it developed a cavity in the gum. Not fun. Had to have a tooth extracted back in the fall just after I sounded TAPS at my shooting partners funeral. Had to wait a while before I could play again. don't push it, let the dentist tell you when you can start playing again:roll::oops::cool:

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    poor soul you are ---- I have all my wisdom teeth --and that is why I am so full of interesting and humorous answers!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- I once heard a story about Maynard Ferguson (got some caps on his teeth) to fill a gap in the front ---- and somebody copied him.

hope you don't miss those teeth!!! speedy recovery

9. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    That's interesting...a friend told me Wayne Bergeron cracked one of his front two teeth, allowing him to play higher. Not sure if a bigger gap is good or bad. I can see how it might allow more air through, but what do I know?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You are over thinking. The anatomy this far back in the mouth will not effect your embouchure once the swelling from the surgery resolves. After that, you'll feel swell.