Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This Vulgani never grew any wisdom teeth. My dentist told me I was an example of the step of the evolutionary process. Must be, because I've outlived him. Mozart and Clifford Brown too.

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Maybe he misunderstood when someone told him he should consider having his gap adjusted.

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Psh!.......Mutant.

4. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    You are overthinking. Teeth stay where they are when all the forces that "play" on them are in equilibrium. That is, the rest of the teeth, the way you talk, breathe, eat, and in your case, play trumpet. The tendency is for teeth to move forward, not backwards. What stops the forward movement is the arch form of teeth. In many older people, lower anterior teeth tend to get crowded and overlapped because the contact points between them is so small. I have been a dentist for 35 years, and I don't think wisdom teeth can move all the teeth in front of them to close the space between front teeth. Think of the amount of bone/root interface that would have to be moved until you get to the front teeth.
    If we did a survey of all the great trumpet players we would find that there is no ideal position of teeth that leads to great trumpet playing, so just adapt to whatever changes normal growth and development creates.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm thinking more like one of the X-men...

[​IMG]

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    As was I....with a power such as yours, Magneto and Prof. Xavier will stop at nothing to win you over to their prospective sides. I definitely see a movie here.

7. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Wisdom teeth... I have a vague recollection of being told I was going to get light headed, attempting to hug the nurses after surgery, and a lot of milkshakes. I also recall losing feeling in the right half of my lips for about two weeks.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don't poke at the sockets with yiur tongue until your doctor says you are free and clear. You really don't want dry sockets by dislodging the scab. Nothing like exposed nerve endings.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But that kinda bites for the other guys.

10. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    Wow. there is a banner-ad for a local dentist at the top of the page!!! The internet is starting to scare me.