Wisdom Tooth: Good Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetKid93, Jun 21, 2011.

1. TrumpetKid93

TrumpetKid93 New Friend

Jun 5, 2011
    I just had my wisdom teeth taken out. My dentist is absolutely adamant that I don't pick up my horn for at least two weeks, and the downtime is killing me.

Is there any sort of exercise I can use to keep my chop strength up?

2. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I am not about to contradict the advice of your dentist, but do you know why he made this recommendation? If you don't, you should ask, and he should give you a reasonable answer.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    NO!!

... do not do anything that will create any kind of pressure in the oral cavity. Your incisions have to heal and that takes time. You will do more damage than taking two weeks off will..

The exciting part is now can can be a "comeback player" too!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Two weeks is a blip - don't sweat it. Take the time off and when you come back to it, ease back into it - you'll be fine and back to normal in no time.

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Last week I cracked a tooth, and it bothered me all weekend. First thing Monday (yesterday) I went to my dentist and she told me the tooth was fractured right down the middle to the root and couldn't be saved. I was instructed to go directly to a periodontist and he pulled the tooth and inserted material for a bone graft. Right now there is a stitched over socket very similar to the sockets I had when my wisdom teeth were removed many years ago.

I haven't played since before the tooth was pulled but I have a band rehearsal tonight and I had not given any thought to not playing. However, after reading the other comments on the thread I decided to call my periodontist and ask him if it was OK. He didn't immediately say yes but we discussed how I was feeling and how the trumpet embouchure affects the area, which is basically not at all (its a premolar). So he said go ahead, it should be fine, just be cautious and be prepared to stop playing if there is any change, not necessarily pain but any change at all.

So that's what I'm going to do and I will report back tomorrow.

7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Follow up to the previous post: Last night I warmed up at home for about 20 minutes and felt fine. I went to rehearsal as usual and played the full rehearsal. I have some discomfort in the area of the socket but it didn't affect my playing and the discomfort was no worse during or after the rehearsal. Today I feel fine (better than yesterday, as should be the case in a normal recovery).

In no way am I suggesting that the OP or anyone else follow this procedure. Everyone's medical decisions should be their own in consultation with their caregivers. I do feel that a 2 week period of no playing is a long time, and if a periodontist had made that recommendation to me I would definitely ask for more specific information ... and indeed he might provide some good reasons. However, in my particular case the periodontist said go ahead and I'm glad he did.

I am now looking forward to practicing as usual for the next two weeks and beyond. As before, if I notice any change for the worse I will immediately back off.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ha ha ha ha !!!!roflroflroflrofl

+1 on the pencil exercise!!

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Do some yoga.

10. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    This is a follow up to my previous posts. It is now 16 days since my premolar extraction. Except for the day of the extraction, I have practiced or played in rehearsals every day since. Today the periodontist removed the stitches (in all of about 15 seconds) and he said the gum is healing beautifully. Two months from now, after the bone graft has fused to my jaw, I will receive an implant, and some time after that, an artificial tooth.

Everyone needs to determine their own course of recovery, and every situation is different. However, if someone tells you that you definitely cannot play for two weeks following an extraction, I say "it ain't necessarily so."