Wisdom tooth recovery time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlagatic, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mlagatic

mlagatic New Friend

Mar 24, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Hey all,

Just had a wisdom tooth pulled on Saturday, and it went surprisingly well. The oral surgeon said that the tooth was pretty much out and not impacted at all and it was going to be a simple extraction. Well since the pulling I really haven't had any pain at all in my jaw. I have a little soreness in the upper left area of my mouth where the tooth was pulled, but other than that, I have had no problems. In fact, I was eating solid food a few hours after the surgery (chewing on the opposite site of my mouth of course). This being the third day after the pulling I am going nuts not being able to play my horn. My question is, how long do you usually wait after getting teeth pulled do you wait before you start playing again..I am prepared to take around one to two weeks off...but i just wanted to see what others have experienced. thanks! I'm jealous of those that can play a horn right now!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The next day I had a gig. Spit a little blood, got a little dizzy but everything else went OK.

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You should be playing the horn.
    Rinse your mouth with a weak solution of salt water a couple times a day.
    No alcohol or aspirin.
    It sounds like you had it easy. This is good.

4. Tim McGinley

Tim McGinley New Friend

This is something personal to each case. I have had extractions where I played 24 hours later with no major issues and others where I waited about 3 days a just played on the staff (with stitches still in). When you start playing, just start slow and "listen" to your body. If it starts to hurt, don't push it, you could tear gum tissue. If things are healing well, start off slow and see where it goes from there.
    Good luck!

5. mahaberio

mahaberio Piano User

Apr 30, 2006
    It really depends on the person and you have to go by how you feel. I recently had three removed and was off for six days. I had a friend who had hers removed and she didn't wait long enough and blew her stitches out...not pleasant.

-Matthew

6. mlagatic

mlagatic New Friend

Mar 24, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Thanks everyone for your replies...I have no stitches luckily, but I'd like to avoid dry socket if possible. Played a little...nothing felt weird..no pain, no feeling of pressure over the wound...but I'll just take it easy this week and just play when I have to demonstrate during my lessons. Probably be best to try and ease back into playing and let the hole begin its healing process.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Did the stitches come flying out of the bell (that fast air you know......... ;-) )?

8. jtownsend

jtownsend New Friend

Nov 23, 2007
    Valencia and Glendale
    When i had my wisdom teeth romoved, i had to take about 2 weeks off, The dentist did a murder job on my mouth, so yea i had to wait a bit longer. It all depends though, you need to take some time off to prevent air pockets from forming.
    -Jordan

9. blueicedj

blueicedj New Friend

Jul 13, 2008
    California/Nevada
    I had 4 wisdom teeth taken out. No stitches. Took me a little over a week then I was able to play my horn again.

10. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I had my 2 lower wisdom teeth pulled about a month ago-it 9 days before I had to leave on tour. I laid off from playing for 4 days although my dentist said I could start a couple of days after the extraction. It was tough the first couple of days then it didn't hurt much after that. By the time I left my chops were close to being back although it wasn't the ideal way to spend the week before a tour. Hope your recovery time goes well :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008