Wise Talks

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Sep 12, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sorry I haven't been posting much, it has been hectic here in Brooklyn.
    I spent yesterday, Sunday, at Ted Curson's house in New Jersey. Ted was entertaining the President of Finland. Imagine.... a trumpet player hosting a gathering for a head of state! The Secret Service, State Police and the local cops were there, but well disguised in black Ray-Bans, suits and walkie-talkies :cool: We were eyed suspiciously by the law enforcement crowd. Claudio Roditi, Henry Grimes and Bob Cranshaw were among the crowd of musicians that showed up for the free food and great jazz entertainment :lol:
    Ted's mom was there, she looks great. She reminded the two South Philly flashes, Ted and Wilmer, how rotten we sounded in Junior High School. Our egos were definitely in check. Finland's President, a woman, is very hip. I would vote for her any time. It was a fun afternoon.

I should mention that Ted has been involved with the Pori Jazz Festival for almost forty years. Finland is his second home.
    Wilmer

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Sounds like quite a day! :lol: It must have really been a cool occasion.

Honest question - when did you notice yourself not sounding "rotten?" I'm not that confident in my playing lately, and was wondering if any other professionals were having truouble playing at my age (I'm 16.) What I'm basically asking is, "When did you notice your playing really start to take off?"

Thanks

3. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Each and every player of the trumpet is different. I met Sergei when he was about 14 years old, he was a virtuoso player at that age. Harry Glantz had held down jobs with major symphonies before he was sixteen.
    There are no standards for achievement by performers. We move at our own speed.
    I was playing in local orchestras at that age. Lee Morgan had already blown Chet Baker away at a jam session at that age. Ted Curson's band when he was a teen had Bobby Timmons, "Tootie" Heath and Jimmy Garrison in the rhythm section. They were playing Diz and Bird tunes.
    Hang in there, it will happen if you persevere.
    Wilmer

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have a question to Wilmer and anyone else:

Can you think of a trumpeter who started quite late and achieved fame later in life? The only one I come up with only fulfills half of that and that's Andre. He started playing when he was 14! But his fame was secure by the time he was in his late 20's as a soloist and way before that as a freelancer in Paris and Europe.

Any jazz players that achieved stardom lat in life?

ML

5. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Bobby Hackett started his career as a guitarist. He didn't take up the trumpet until his 20s.

6. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Doc Cheatham comes to mind. He fame came after his retirement from the U.S. Postal Service :cool:
    Wilmer

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    :D yo wise one!
    How,s the dorin-moe!

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Didn't Bill Chase enter college playing drums?

Van

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hows about Bix Beiderbecke? I guess he never really lived to see his fame. Better yet, although not a trumpeter, Ellis Marsalis had to wait for his kids to make it big before anyone paid him any attention.
    -Jimi

10. Spitty

Spitty Pianissimo User

Oct 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Wilmer,

A bit off topic but just wanted to pass on a big hello and regards from Dave Douglas! FYI - his new record "Keystone" is out tomorrow - only at www.greenleafmusic.com.

Also wanted to ask, have you started teaching at The Colin studios yet? You would make a great addition to the wonderful players playing, practicing and teaching there.

Speak soon,
    Jason Byrne - Brooklyn, NY
    aka Spitty