Wish I sstill these chpos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Apr 10, 2015.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  2. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Yeah sorry , just reminiscing .

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Don't be sorry, it's good to hear it again! Thanks!

--bumblebee

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Well... I have a different take.

I had pretty strong chops in the 80/90's but I was not very disciplined and didn't practice consistently. My playing, while strong and powerful was inaccurate and often splatty. I quit the trumpet and left school in December of 1992.

In 2011 that nagging wonder in the back of my mind (say it like Robert Dinero: "I coulda been a contenda" ) needed to be answered... So I set out with a 5 year plan to practice consistently & correctly, and work on the technical skills and fundamentals that I ignored in my previous incarnation. Arban, Clarke, Irons/Colin, Charlier/Brandt. If my range returned that would be awesome, but the main point was that I didn't want to be the player I was before... I wanted to become the player I never was.

I am 4 years into my 5 year plan and I have never missed a day of practicing, averaging about 20 hrs a week (some days are 1 hr, busy days can be 4-5)... but I have practiced everyday for the last 4 years.

What I have found out was that I am STRONGER than I was before, even without making range a focus of my practicing. Everything is better... but also still getting better.

So, my response to you is this: You can have BETTER chops NOW than you ever had before. You just gotta put in the work, and put it in consistently.