Wizard of Oz Pit Advice

Discussion in 'Kadleck's Corner' started by TheLoneRobin, Jun 29, 2015.

1. TheLoneRobin

TheLoneRobin New Friend

Jun 27, 2015
    Houston
    Hey Guys, I am new to the forums( been reading for a long time but never made an account till now), but I am going to be playing 1st Trumpet for a local Wizard of Oz show and have never played in a pit orchestra before, I have rehearsals starting 7/16 and really don't know quite what to expect from them. The show is in August, and the rehearsals arent very frequent (maybe 6 rehearsals before show). I am the only person under 20 (Im currently about to be a Junior in Highschool), so I feel that I would like to feel as prepared as possible. Any advice would help, have any of you done this show and what did you think of it, how was your first pit experience, what can I do to be most prepared, etc.
    Thanks to all

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Congrats TheLoneRobin! I hear it's a fun show, but haven't played it myself. Can anyone out there offer up any suggestions about this show?

Thanks,
    Tony

3. trpthawaii

trpthawaii New Friend

Jan 28, 2004
    I've played the show a couple of times and don't recall anything particularly difficult. Basically, it's the film score from the movie. There is a number called "The Jitterbug" that is a big dance production number and was cut from the film. Otherwise, my recollection is that I felt like I was on the scoring stage back in 1939. Watch the movie, bring all your mutes ( including a harmon WITH a stem) and you should be in good shape.

As this will be your first pit job, remember that the focal point for the audience is what is happening on stage, not the pit. If actors have dialogue or are singing, make sure you are not covering them up. You can cut loose on the dance sections.

Mark Minasian

4. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    It's been a few years but I remember chromatic scales all over the place whenever the wicked witch appears. I concur on the Jitterbug, if you're luck they'll take it out as it wasn't in the movie. Filmed but cut from the motion picture. Be as prepared as you can, don't be afraid to make mistakes.

5. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    I did the show back in the late 90s a few times and I had a blast. I also was the 1st trumpet part. It was not very difficult. The Jitterbug was not difficult but was pretty fun. My advice would be get your music early and practice it before you have actual practices so you know it already.

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The original post is over two years old.