Wm. Frank Co. mouthpieces?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by hrnlip, May 11, 2004.

1. hrnlip

hrnlip New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    Kenmore NY
    Has anyone ever heard of these? Received it from an estate sale along with a few other older pieces of which I am still trying to identify. No small letter Mt. Vernons in the bunch!
    Anyway, the piece has stamped on the side "Wm. Frank Co. - Chicago, Il.", and it looks like the size on it is a "21"??
    Any info.?

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  3. trumpettodd

trumpettodd New Friend

Apr 12, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi there, I hope that you still see this post, it's been several years now. I have the same mouthpiece, but a model "20". I can't give an exact date, but the trumpet it came with hasn't been played since the early 60's and was made in the 20's. I have some history of the trumpet mine came with if you would like to know.

4. trumpettodd

trumpettodd New Friend

Apr 12, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I found out one other bit of info right now, just a little bio on William Frank.

William Frank (b. 1876 Allentown, PA - 1932 Chicago) worked for Holton and in 1910 established his own business in Chicago. At one time, he had a work
    force of 32. He used American Prep and Belmore as tradenames.

That is all I could find on it though.

5. a1trumpetman

a1trumpetman New Friend

Jan 8, 2009
    Hi my name is Ron
    I aquired a Frank trumpet from of all places Goodwill.
    It is in excellant condition and has "MADE BY WM FRANK CO. MADE IN CHICAGO ILL. USA. It has no Model No. but the S/N is 14282. You say you have some info on the history of the trumpet. could you share it with me?

Ron

6. trumpettodd

trumpettodd New Friend

Apr 12, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Ron,
    Good grab on the trumpet! Mine is in pretty decent shape and is still beautiful. Do you know if yours has been overhauled? I believe that mine was, but am not sure the extent of the changes.

My horn says, "Made by FrankHolton and Co (I'm pretty sure on the and CO) Elkhorn. w/s" on the bell in some engraving. I'm attempting to post some pictures of it, so maybe you can get a look for yourself.

I have a date sheet of Holton trumpets and some family history. I won't write them all out, but I will try to sum it up for you. My horn's S/N is 85513 and my sheet says it was made in 1924. Your horn (if this sheet is right) was made in 1911.
    As for the history: It was my great grandfathers and when he died, he took most of the history with him. It was givin to him upon graduating Lancaster, Pennsylvania school of the bible as a gift and seems to have been well used. (keep in mind this is all 2nd or 3rd hand info) He played the horn in big bands like Tommy Dorsey, Billy Smith adn in many Chicago are clubs, including the Green Apple. In about 1960 the trumpet was sent to be overhauled, and sadly, was returned with a replacement case and missing one glass mouthpiece and lyre.
    My great uncle played the horn through his schooling and actually remembers playing it when the news of President Kennedy assassination.
    Many other people in my family played this horn until it was passed down to me.
    That is about it for the Sum up. If you would like, I can mail you the history and the date sheet I have. I would love to see some pictures of your horn!

7. a1trumpetman

a1trumpetman New Friend

Jan 8, 2009
    I don't jnow how to send pictures over this board.
    My email is [email protected]
    If you will contact me there we could do it the regular way.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Wm. Frank was employed by Frank Holton when Holtons plant was still in Chicago, prior to Holtons move to Wisconsin. Wm. Frank and Frank Holton played in the Chicago Symphony together. When Holton moved his plant, Wm. Frank started his. He made all grades of brass instruments from the student line up to the medium Belmore to the top models named Biltmore. I have a couple of trumpets and cornets from each grade. Very fine instruments.

OLDLOU>>

9. tderscheid

tderscheid New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    I have just purchases a used trumpet with the name of "Biltmore" on the bell and the serial number of: 255837. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this trumpet? It is in petty good shape with no dents and the valves all work excellent. It had a very good sound to it, so I am very curious to find out how old this instrument is.
    Thanks,

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Go to Horn-u-copia and scroll to Frank for more info on your fine old Biltmore model trumpet.

OLDLOU>>