Wondered why Rowuk....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Mar 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't get it.

3. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Spada is a Swiss craftsman so was Dave's father (though he was not designing trumpets). The Swiss watch-like precision of Dave's creations is now less a mystery (at least to me). The point was - both are excellent craftsmen and possibly share a common heritage. After all this explaining I had to do, it doesn't sounds as funny anymore.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes Nick - always loses something in the explanation - my Dad said to me when I was very young "Never, explain a joke - when you do either the joke teller or the audience will be dissappointed".

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    actually the Spada rebuild came after the Monette and has in the mean time been replaced with my own rebuild ideas. I still have the Monette Prana 3 with the big shank and just got back from a concert with a colleague that has a Raja C. What a great time!

Maybe just a couple of considerations:

1) Bad intonation is not acceptable. Bach C trumpets of old have serious intonation issues that can be Plan B'ed with alternate fingerings. That does not result in even tone quality or optimal security. Spada has an excellent solution for fixing Bach intonation without losing the characteristic sound and core. Monette on the other hand does a much better job on sound, core and blow in the first place.

2) the Spada sound does not hold as well together when playing loudly because the braces are missing. They have an option of a sound post that I did not get along with at all. I believe that the front and rear bell braces transmit vibration and the middle brace damps - just the opposite of what happens with the Spada. This was one of my main focal points for my modifications on the Bach C.

3) With the Monette I was looking for additional colors. One of the most fun parts of playing is picking the palette of colors for a specific project. I accomplish this with horn and mouthpiece. The Monette is a pretty radical departure from "standard" sound and fit my bill of order perfectly. I play it about 25% of the time

As far as the craftsman Dave Monette, the construction and attention to detail are far from Swiss watchmaker. What he does best is inside the horn. I have never played a horn from any other manufacturer that has that control over the sound and the security of blow that the Monette horns do. In the mean time, I have a pretty good idea about what he does differently. I am working with a couple of instrument makers here on various projects. Maybe I'll have something cool in the not too distant future. It will not be a Monette clone, rather use what I have learned from everywhere.

6. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    :oops:

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    You said:

"If you don't know where you are going, you 'll end up someplace else...."

Me:

When we get kicked in our behind, we know who is in the lead! :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lloyd,
    don't forget about friendly fire...............