Wondering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, I was wondering what makes a thread get closed?

I saw the homeschooling thread, and it was "Shut Down"! What qualifys a thread for such an action?

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Politics or religion related topics will get you shut down every time. Fortunately.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jason,
    in the general trumpet forum, it is my personal decision that close threads. Sometimes I consult with the other moderators/owner, sometimes I just decide enough is enough.

My guide lines are:
    Thread has gotten out of hand - way off track
    Personal vendettas
    Bad behaviour
    Politics/religion
    Dumbness
    lack of netiquette
    and the hardest of all to closely define: not in the interest of TM.

Yes, I am guilty at one time or another of all of the above. That is why I let some threads go longer than they should.

I take freedom of speech to mean freedom to think before speaking and not freedom for verbal vomit. There are other sites that are not tied to the specific topic of trumpet where vomit better fits in the big picture.

I haven't read the homeschooling thread, but there is plenty of room for politics, religion, and a course of discussion not in the interest of TM. This is not a blog for just anything. It is TrumpetMaster.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sorry All,

This thread prompted me to go and re-read the rules. I am very guilty of hyjacking threads and posting nonesense - stop me when I get out of control, please. No offence intended (generally).

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tedh1951, (and others) nonsense is not caustic--it is inert, and as such, nonsense is revered by this moderator, and placed in the "fun stuff" box in my brain. As rowuk mentioned, this is about trumpet stuff, with the lounge there for "fun."

Nonsense is fun. Earlier we had the "cage" where all could post about all the things that are now forbidden. I had a lot of fun there, but some folk took it deadly seriously and the cage is no longer a part of the lounge.

From my standpoint, it is totally cool for us in North America to make comments about our friends from down under walking on their heads, while you make fun of us for being, uhh...normal(?). I think you get the point.

If, however, I were to attack your Aborigine population, or suggest in a thread we should/could pass some sort of value judgment on them, that thread would be closed. Why?
    It isn't fun, and is political/religious.

This isn't to say that TMers can't be of differing religious persuasions (I'm cool with that) or different political persuasions (weird as it is, although I consider religion more important than politics, if I were to bloody a nose it would be over politics before religion).

We are a bunch of trumpet players here, with all our failings. Sometimes our passion will lead us into forbidden territory and threads will get banned; not because TM wants to suppress or to censor truth, but because sometimes individual pursuit of truth takes it into a zone that is outside TM's jurisdiction.

Besides, if we were exclusively trumpet, I would never had learned what a Sheilia is, and that would have been my loss.

B15M and tedh1951 like this.
  6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks for that Vulgano nicely put,

Cheers

Andrew

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Amen - oops, religion.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Though I am not a Moderator, I would add to Rowuk's guide lines adult content - we (me included) have approached or even crossed the border line of the G-rating, which resulted in deleted post and less often in closed/deleted threads which is absolutely fine.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Trumpetnick, is a G rating anything like a G string? :shock:

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I liked the cage and was one of the few people voting to bring it back when asked